Is it common to have this many wheel weights?

I need to drive it and see how it does and then determine if I just need to buy two new wheels that may have better specs.

You guys should be happy to find they replaced the clamp on style with stick on style or both in one instance. All wheels have 4 oz or more of weight. I can tell because the stick ons have 1/4 oz imprinted on them.

Reactions: Rick Flair
You guys should be happy to find they replaced the clamp on style with stick on style or both in one instance. All wheels have 4 oz or more of weight. I can tell because the stick ons have 1/4 oz imprinted on them.

At least they did that.

A good tire guy with a decent machine will spin that tire on the wheel to get it “right”. I have a good local shop that takes its time.

Hell my steel Aero beadlocks and China MT’s didn’t take that much weight.

At least they did that.

A good tire guy with a decent machine will spin that tire on the wheel to get it “right”. I have a good local shop that takes its time.

Hell my steel Aero beadlocks and China MT’s didn’t take that much weight.
I do know they didn't remove the tire to try again. I think what they did was rebalance it "as-is" and just changed the weights.

• Sad
This shop has their head up their ass because they didn't even try to spin the tire on the rim when you took it back to re-balance. Give them their tires back and buy something better somewhere else. It is plainly the tires that are the problem here. What you have is UNACCEPTABLE, I don't care the what the excuse is.

For your viewing displeasure...

F72D6C72-771B-409C-B990-7C1B0F752CEF.jpeg

4A7957E7-133D-409F-B98B-C6CA41286B95.jpeg

0E69EC1A-6ABA-4B62-9369-6E09EECFB108.jpeg

7BDACB35-F38A-4D09-8478-D00CCC9ED513.jpeg

• Angry
How is that even acceptable? I had a nail in a tire on my GMC canyon when it went in for service. They needed to break the bead to see if it had gone though, which it didn't. Not only did they scrape and ding up the rim (looked like they used a screwdriver to pry off the weights) they left the gum from the weights on, and didn't even get it balanced! I immediately took it to another dealer, and had it fixed correctly.

Last edited:
You should definitely contact the supervisor. Ridiculous amount of weights. They need to start from scratch.
Is there another discount tire you can go to and see if that work is acceptable to them?

I’ve had tires like that. They’re basically just bad tires.
Could be the tire’s out of round, or have a “boot” in it.
That’s a heavy spot, sometimes visible from the inside of the tire. But regardless, it’s a bad tire.

Most tires I’ve had like that are “inexpensive” ones.
I just took off a set of 33” Patagonia M/T’s that were on my TJ when I bought it, and the worst one had 14 ounces of weight on it!
But I agree that on large tires 4 or 5 ounces would be acceptable.

Don’t know who you bought them from, but I’d take them back and get my money back.

Reactions: Cross-Threaded-06TJ
I mounted my tires myself here at work. I have 35's on a 15x8 steelie. I had to rotate all of them on the rims 90 degrees at a time to get the balance weight acceptable.

I’ve had tires like that. They’re basically just bad tires.
Could be the tire’s out of round, or have a “boot” in it.
That’s a heavy spot, sometimes visible from the inside of the tire. But regardless, it’s a bad tire.

Most tires I’ve had like that are “inexpensive” ones.
I just took off a set of 33” Patagonia M/T’s that were on my TJ when I bought it, and the worst one had 14 ounces of weight on it!
But I agree that on large tires 4 or 5 ounces would be acceptable.

Don’t know who you bought them from, but I’d take them back and get my money back.

I could see one tire but do you think 5/5 tires would be like that?

Id love to see you on the highway when one or two of those weights gets lost.

200.gif

....but on other hand

200.gif

i can see where you going with this

Depends on where and how they’re made. Lots of economy brands around today. Low skilled labor, low grade materials, minimum standards for import, etc. And many old brand names either sold, or moved production overseas to keep their price down.

Tons of reasons but, yes, I think you could get 5 crappy ones.

Those Patagonia’s I had, all 5 took way too much weight to balance. They’re stacked outside because of that, and they rode like crap as well.

That’s why I bite the bullet and buy major brands.
But that’s not to say that majors couldn’t have a bad one here and there. I’ve just experienced less problems with major brands.