Is it normal for Jeep to move forward when starting?

Thanks for the awesome input everyone. I was being dumb and didn't have the clutch pushed in. As soon as I read that from someone saying that I need to push it in I made me remember that I knew that, I just forgot. Thanks!!!

Reactions: jjvw
So a Wrangler will start in 4LO with the clutch engaged. But the engine should not over in 2H or 4H unless the clutch is in. It is really not an issue but it has been the industry standard for 30? years.

And my apologies for participating in the sarcasm.

Reactions: WJT
Your good!! love the sarcasm! I was just being dumb and not pushing the clutch in even though I knew I should. I just forgot to and couldn't remember to do it.

Keep at it and the clutch will be second nature. You'll hesitate every time you jump into an automatic.

I think he’s being serious. It’s his first jeep and he never driven manual.
I was being serious. I knew I needed to push the clutch in but I just couldn't remember to do it for some reason, but as soon as I read to do it I was kinda mad at myself. It is my first jeep and first manual (I'm only 16-years-old). I would have responded yesterday but just didn't get the chance.

Reactions: alittleoff
Hi WJT, congratulations on your jeep and welcome to the best forum on the planet!! Hang in there on learning to drive a manual transmission, you'll get the hang of it in no time. Just wait until you start learning to heel-and-toe for inclines! :sisi1

Thanks for the awesome input everyone. I was being dumb and didn't have the clutch pushed in. As soon as I read that from someone saying that I need to push it in I made me remember that I knew that, I just forgot. Thanks!!!

As I read some of this yesterday I was wondering why nobody mentioned there might be some clutch/fluid/throw out bearing problems, but jjvw got it right just 5 minutes after your original post. Congratulations to both of you (for slightly different reasons) and I'm glad to find out my thoughts were wrong anyway.

If you can rent a vehicle with a manual, I suggest learning on someone else's clutch. :) Clutches can last a very long time, but they are not forgiving.

I would put the "#19 position" fuse back in until you are comfortable driving a stick. I pulled my fuse a couple of years ago so I can start the Jeep without the clutch in, but if you are learning, I think it might be smart to leave it in until you have some experience.

I'm assuming the previous owner pulled your fuse like I did. You have to move the fuse from position 20 to position 19 if I'm remembering correctly.
I have wondered why I was able to start my TJ without depressing in the clutch. Now I know.

i would seriously suggest you move the fuse and use the clutch safety switch so it wont crank without stepping on the clutch pedal. not so much for yourself but for all your friends who will jump behind the wheel and accidently hit the key. it happens all the time