Is it normal to have to jack the frame up to fit new shocks?

T A

TJ Enthusiast
Finally replaced the rear shocks today. New Rancho 5000x. No idea how old the existing ones were, the upper bushing was totally gone and the were just rattling around. My first shock change & it went pretty smooth however, to get the new shocks to fit I had to jack up the frame. Is that normal?

20200516_163431.jpg

There was about a 2" difference. Before the shock change the springs measured at a 2" lift so (thanks for the recommendations here) I got the 240 part number for a 0 - 2 in lift.

I also figured out I need to get a new jack and stand set...

View attachment 161866
Definitely need new stands. You might be able to jack it up from under the axle and then put your new taller stand under the frame. Then let the jack down to let the axle sag.
When installing the lift, you should check the bump stops. You might want to pull your springs and raise your axle with the shocks sitting in place but not attached at the bottom. That way you can see if your bump stop hits before the shock bottoms out.
Never feel bad about it being your first time doing something. After a few more first times, you’ll be the one answering the questions. 👍🏻

I also figured out I need to get a new jack and stand set...

View attachment 161866

Yeah, don’t do that. Get some proper stands and jack, even HF makes decent ones for not much money. I’d hate for you to have your Jeep drop on you doing things like that!

good job on the shocks!

And the boots will hold in dirt and water and ruin the seals. Just take a razor knife and cut them off.

And the boots will hold in dirt and water and ruin the seals. Just take a razor knife and cut them off.
There's the why. A case can also be made that the boots protect the shafts from being sand blasted and nicked by flying rocks which also takes out the seals. Pick your poison but understand both sides of the logic.

Yeah, don’t do that. Get some proper stands and jack, even HF makes decent ones for not much money. I’d hate for you to have your Jeep drop on you doing things like that!

good job on the shocks!

I disagree on the shock boots. They will help to keep stuff off the rod. Just have to realize they aren’t a perfect seal and clean under them once in a while and any time you’ve had it in deep water and mud.

There's the why. A case can also be made that the boots protect the shafts from being sand blasted and nicked by flying rocks which also takes out the seals. Pick your poison but understand both sides of the logic.
😂 could have saved my breath. I was replying at the same time as you mrblaine.

Guess it depends on where your at? I’ve never seen any of the desert guys run boots? I figure they (as well as the dune guys which I was a part of for the last 25 years) never run them and deal with the sand/rocks as a lessor evil?

Then again, I have always ran them without boots and never lost a seal...🤷‍♂️

what do you recommend mrblaine? I’m genuinely curious as I’ve held this as good knowledge.

Guess it depends on where your at? I’ve never seen any of the desert guys run boots? I figure they (as well as the dune guys which I was a part of for the last 25 years) never run them and deal with the sand/rocks as a lessor evil?

Then again, I have always ran them without boots and never lost a seal...🤷‍♂️

what do you recommend mrblaine? I’m genuinely curious as I’ve held this as good knowledge.
We run without boots. We have also had to replace shock shafts with some regularity because it sucks to get a boot to work on a 12" travel shock mounted correctly. (body up) They get sandblasted to crap on the way out to the trails.

That has slowed down a fair bit since they moved to hard stainless shafts and away from the hard chrome which would be toast in a couple of trips.

We run without boots. We have also had to replace shock shafts with some regularity because it sucks to get a boot to work on a 12" travel shock mounted correctly. (body up) They get sandblasted to crap on the way out to the trails.

That has slowed down a fair bit since they moved to hard stainless shafts and away from the hard chrome which would be toast in a couple of trips.

Gotcha. I figured it was just like you said, knowing both (down)sides.

thank you.