Is it possible to put a winch on the factory front bumper?

Stock bumper with a winch here too
4D53E10A-4BCB-4F97-94AC-66885DD4A135.jpeg

Reactions: Mcnenc1
the old school look is cool, but you can get an M12-S for less $ and weight from what i find, if you got close to 2k to toss at it.

from what i can see even if i snag that M8 @599 and buy Warn's synth line ($260) i'm coming in under what i can find the M8-S @$969. and up, and i can sell off the brand new steel rope (< hillbilly rebate).

Reactions: Mcnenc1
the old school look is cool, but you can get an M12-S for less $ and weight from what i find, if you got close to 2k to toss at it.

from what i can see even if i snag that M8 @599 and buy Warn's synth line ($260) i'm coming in under what i can find the M8-S @$969. and up, and i can sell off the brand new steel rope (< hillbilly rebate).
I'm assuming you're referring to the upright when you say "old school look"? You're right the 12k is cheaper by a few hundred dollars, $1,529.99 for the 12k and $1,949.99 for the 8274-50. Weigh wise the upright is lighter, 8274-50 @ 110 lbs. with steel rope vs, the M12 at 131 lbs. with steel rope.
Personally I like the looks of the upright and it never failed me, but to each their own.

There's no way a TJ needs or could even use the full winching capacity of the more expensive 12k winch. My Warn 9.5xp can easily outpull what my TJ weighs even an 8k winch is well known to be a great size for a TJ. More capacity than a TJ could possibly use is wasted $$$ and just extra unnecessary weight for it to carry.

There's no way a TJ needs or could even use the full winching capacity of the more expensive 12k winch. My Warn 9.5xp can easily outpull what my TJ weighs even an 8k winch is well known to be a great size for a TJ. More capacity than a TJ could possibly use is wasted $$$ and just extra unnecessary weight for it to carry.

For capacity, yes, but for efficiency, the larger one can be much better. Using Engo's data, for example, their 12k winch's ampfeet draw is 58% of the 10k's at 10,000 lb, and a still much better 75% at a more practical 8,000 lb. However, they're neck and neck at 4,000 and 6,000 lbs, which might cover a Jeep's needs for mild recovery work.

Absolutely, in 1972 I worked in a shop where the standard forestry, oil field winch was the Tulsa 5E or 5 hydraulic on pickups. 5000# was the industry standard, Todays 8000# winch is more than enough on a TJ.

the 8274 was listed at 121# with steel rope, and the M12-SYN was listed at 100# by shipping weight

hell 80# on the front end is more than i want, so the M8 is likely the limit. and i may even seek an aluminum bumper to aid in an attempt to keep the front end as light as possible.

Last edited:
the 8274 was listed at 121# with steel rope. and the M12-SYN was listed at 100#.

hell 80# on the front end is more than i want, so the M8 is likely the limit.
Not sure where you got your numbers but everywhere I look the 8274-50 is listed at 110 lbs with 150 feet of steel rope. And yes the M12S weighs 100 lbs vs the M12 at 131 with steel rope at 100 feet respectively. So if you were to put synthetic rope on the 8274-50 it would actually come out lighter than the 100lb M12-S by probably 20 lbs or more.

amazon shipping weight.
i was going from cost of unit the 8274-50 was 1900 w steel the 12 was 1700 with syth.
i imagine if i look for the 8274 synth. it'd be $2200 ballpark then it becomes 500 more than that 12-5

off to work yall have a great day.

Reactions: reddvltj
Just FYI. I first went with a stock bumper and Badlands 12k (HF model) winch and winch plate. The plate took modification (I'm still using it because I'm cheap in weird ways). The winch wouldn't clear the stock anti sway bar, which happened to be broken so I removed it and drove that way for awhile. I have since swapped my M8000 for the 12k Badlands, which maybe I'll put on a trailer or something.

I can't say anything bad on the Badlands, but it just was a little rough around the edges kinda. Always worked though.

One day I'll get a small, lightweight bumper with an integrated winch mount. Meantime what I've got works and I've got gearing and suspension/clearance stuff to tackle.

Not to argue with your experience (and my lack of such), but two things come to mind.
Aren't ratings based on final layer of rope? So a 12k would have 8k capacity sooner or with less rope out?
And I've seen rigging where the base vehicle is tied to something allowing it to pull more than it's own weight.
Do either of these situations hold water for having a larger than 'necessary' winch?