Is it unreasonable for me to expect my new Smittybilt hardtop be leak free?

Rick77

Hi guys, great forum. I'm the original owner of a 2004 wrangler TJ. My original soft top was on its last leg and I decided to replace it with a hardtop. I purchased the top (Smittybuilt) from a local 4wheel parts store and had them install it. Their warranty was 1 year parts and labor.
First rain and 3 days later I find the front floor boards soaking wet. Found a steady drip coming from the top front of both doors. Called them and they said bring it in no questions asked.
A week and one rain later I still have a leak, same spot passenger side only. Went back and spoke to a manager that then tells me leaks are going to happen and that I shouldn't expect it to be leak free. I was stunned! I told him very directly that I expected my newly installed hardtop to be leak free. He hemmed and hawed a bit and told me he would order a different seal and I should bring it back day after tomorrow.
My question guys, is it reasonable for me to expect this newly installed top to be leak free? The vehicle has been parked in a garage for a good part of it's life. It has no rust that I can see and has never been in an accident.
What think you? In light of all the issues I've seen regarding leaky sealsI, I thought I'd ask for your honest opinions. Thanks

I'm not surprised at all. I've heard of a number of issues with those crappy Smittybilt hardtops, which is why I'd never recommend one. I hate to say it, but you would have been better off purchasing a used OE hardtop.

It is 100% reasonable for you to expect your new top to be leak free! It shouldn't leak at all. Go buy a used OE hardtop and it won't leak one bit as long as the seals are good.

I would tell him you want to return it, otherwise you're going to file a chargeback.

That's complete bullshit.

I'd take it back an insist on a refund, Smittybilt's reputation for quality is abysmal. 4Wheel Parts pushes Smittybilt because they're both owned by the same parent company, Transamerica. You may have to push hard to a refund, in fact you can count on them not wanting to take it back. Don't give up. As above, you'd be better off buying a used OE factory hard top.

Personally, I'd rather install a new OE replacement Bestop Sailcloth soft top. I bought a factory hard top years ago and while its quality was very good and it was leak-free, I ended up selling it. The Bestop Sailcloth soft top was good enough that I didn't miss the hard top at all. It was nearly as quiet as the hard top too. Bestop's Replace-A-Top Sailcloth soft top has superb quality.

DEFINITELY don't let 4Wheel Parts talk you into a Smittybilt soft top instead of a refund.

Reactions: rasband and Rick77
And be sure to threaten a chargeback. If they hear that, they will likely just give you your money back right then and there.

Trust me, I've filed a number of chargebacks before. It's easy to do through your bank or credit card company, and you're basically guaranteed to get your money back.

I only suggest doing them when you run into a situation where they refuse to give you a refund, even when it's within the refund time period or you're dealing with someone who is just impossible to deal with.

Like Jerry said as well, DO NOT let them talk you into a Smittybilt soft top. Ask @StG58 what happened to his brand new Smittybilt soft top he bought from 4 Wheel Parts.

Again, Smittybilt is known for making poor quality products, and should generally be avoided as much as possible.

I can't speak to a Smitty top, but my factory soft top has never leaked that I'm aware of.

Reactions: Rick77
I don't know how married you are to the idea of having a hard top, and/or what your previous soft top hardware's condition was, but if you are open to a soft top at all, you could ask 4WP to replace that crappy SB hard top with a Bestop Supertop NX, black twill, and refund the difference in cost from the hard top. All new hardware, the best soft top you can buy for your TJ, and money back in your pocket. I would think 4WP would be more agreeable to that than a full refund.

https://www.4wheelparts.com/p/besto...-matte-black-twill-54820-17/_/R-BDKW-54820-17
If you only want a hard top, a full refund is your only option. SB tops are not worth the price.

Being as though the OP is in Ohio, I can see why he wants a hardtop, and I don't blame him either. I'd want a hardtop in Ohio too!

Reactions: Rick77
4WP's is a crappy place to do business with in the first place. They ripped me off last year. I wrote a letter to the service manager, store manager and their corporate customer service. NEver heard back from anyone ever. Not even an email or a phone call. I'll never do business there again. Still finding things they did wrong. And as for their professional installation. Trust me. No one there is a professional. Just a bunch of sales types slinging as much gear as they can to get commissions.

The only thing they are good for is buying parts shipped to store for next day delivery. If you absolutely have to have it. And it's not on Amazon Prime. Then maybe. But I would stay far away from the Kmart of 4 wheel drive parts.

No one should be telling you that your new hardtop should have leaks. What the hell is it for then? A sun shade?

They should take your return. If not simply file a chargeback with your credit card. Visa will handle it from there.

EDIT - Try www.car-parts.com that's where all the junkyards list their parts. And Jeeps they are parting out. You might find a good condition on in your area.

Thanks Chris. The manager agreed to order a new seal and install it on Tuesday, so I'll be speaking with him then. Fault me for not researching better before agreeing to buy. I will let him know that 2 follow up trips is enough for me, and if at this point it still leaks then I will expect a complete refund.

Reactions: Chris
4WP's is a crappy place to do business with in the first place. They ripped me off last year. I wrote a letter to the service manager, store manager and their corporate customer service. NEver heard back from anyone ever. Not even an email or a phone call. I'll never do business there again. Still finding things they did wrong. And as for their professional installation. Trust me. No one there is a professional. Just a bunch of sales types slinging as much gear as they can to get commissions.

The only thing they are good for is buying parts shipped to store for next day delivery. If you absolutely have to have it. And it's not on Amazon Prime. Then maybe. But I would stay far away from the Kmart of 4 wheel drive parts.

No one should be telling you that your new hardtop should have leaks. What the hell is it for then? A sun shade?

They should take your return. If not simply file a chargeback with your credit card. Visa will handle it from there.

EDIT - Try www.car-parts.com that's where all the junkyards list their parts. And Jeeps they are parting out. You might find a good condition on in your area.
Thanks for the response Moab. I should point out that I used the term "4 wheel parts store" generically. I didn't know it was actually a store name.

Hopefully the seal fixes it. Like I said, definitely not the first time I've heard of this issue with Smittybilt tops (both hard tops and soft tops). I hope it ends up working out for you!

The word "chargeback" is a powerful one indeed!

In most cases you'll get way more responses than you bargained for here.

I think the only exception is when you post something at 1 AM in the morning, then you've usually got to wait until the next day when people start waking up and checking the forum ;)

I had a hell of a time (in my timeframe) to find an LJ hard top and ended up with a rally top. There’s a minor leak near the front window in a power wash that was fixed by a 2” bit of electrical tape.

However after buying and using it for a few months I think I just prefer the soft top anyway... can’t wait to have an excuse to replace the Rampage with a Bestop instead.

Thanks for the response Moab. I should point out that I used the term "4 wheel parts store" generically. I didn't know it was actually a store name.

I'm not to sure where you are but I'm not to far from 4WD Hardware in Columbiana. They started in the late 70s but unfortunately sold out to Transamerica the last year of the TJs.

Anyway if you end up with getting your money back and still focused on a hardtop, and are somewhere around here, I'd take a short ride to Davies Jeep parts and see what they have.

I would expect it not to leak.

I looked closer at the existing soft top that came on my Jeep and was surprised to see that it is Smittybilt from 2014. I thought it was OEM because it is really tight, looks awesome, doesn't flap, and I have gotten compliments on it.

The owner before me really never cleaned the Jeep and kept it outside and it has held up really well. The only thing that is causing me to want a new one is that he really scratched up the windows and the rear zipper is not connecting well, but it is really super snug. The zippers are extra large and rugged.

Once I cleaned all the algae off, people asked if I got a new top, that is how good it looks. after 5 years of abuse. So, all the guys here recommended I get a Bestop, but after I learned what was currently on my Jeep, I am having a hard time not wanting to get another one or even thinking of spending 3x more for a Bestop.

All that to say, as of now, I cannot be counted as one who dismisses everything but the most expensive option and would give Smitty a shot based only on my experience. But, no experience with a hard top yet.