Is Mobil Super High Mileage 10W-30 oil a thing of the past?

5W-30 in the same specification is less than half the price. The 5W-30 is the same base oil stock, just fewer additives to increase the viscosity at low temperatures.

No real difference in protection between the two except that the 5W-30 flows better at startup and when cold.

I would go 10w-40 before 5w-30 since I'm in Arkansas.

Just bought 2 of these, comes in 6 packs

32306189-0EC9-4A84-8D91-7B66FF713208.png

Reactions: TheBoogieman
This site contains affiliate links for which Jeep Wrangler TJ Forum may be compensated.
Amazon says that's Conventional, but the bottle says nothing.

According to @Jerry Bransford , Pennzoil says "p/n 550022812 on the rear of the bottle indicates it is a pure conventional high mileage 10W-30".

Please let us know if that p/n is what you actually receive.

Reactions: Jerry Bransford
yes sir I did the same thing.

Have been using this since ordering it in bulk in 2021 thanks to the advice of @Jerry Bransford. Went to order more today for my next oil change but it seems to no longer be available. Can anyone confirm if it is in fact discontinued? If so, what is your choice of oil and why, especially if you used this before? I know some will say “any basic Dino oil” but I’d prefer more specific recommendations. Pairing with Fram Tough Guard for what it’s worth. Thanks in advance!

04 LJ w/ 85k on the odometer

I know this is an older thread, but I am actually an XOM OEM sales rep/ distributor sales rep. Correct, for the most part conventional oils are a thing of the past and they have been for about 10 or so years. Most major oil manufacturers branded an oil as conventional when in fact is was a synthetic blend. About 5 years ago all majors updated their labels and SPECS to reflect that these oils were a syn blend. And what makes the product a syn blend varies from major to major some mix 5%, others up to 20%. It’s really not governed, only the SPECS the oil states it meets is. My recommendations are always to move up to a synthetic (better additive package, but I understand in some cases owners want to stay with what works. Mobil does still offer 10w30 in the Mobil Special, Mobil Super HM, and Mobil Super Synthetic, and Mobil 1 lines. Your best bet will always be to reach out to a local Exxon Mobil distributor and they will be happy to sell you a case (or however much you need) of the Mobil Special 10w30, Mobil Super, 10w30 or Mobil Super HM 10w30. Those would be the three that fit your needs. As a Jeep owner myself, we now run Mobil 1 HM in it and I’ve have fantastic success with that product. I have my oil tested at the lab annually and we haven’t had any issues since we made the switch. Good luck!

I am actually an XOM OEM sales rep/ distributor sales rep.

About 5 years ago all majors updated their labels and SPECS to reflect that these oils were a syn blend. And what makes the product a syn blend varies from major to major some mix 5%, others up to 20%. It’s really not governed, only the SPECS the oil states it meets is.

Welcome.

What about the "off-road-use" and "hot rod" oils like Valvoline VR1, Driven HR products or any of the farm/fleet oils. Are they also blending those as well, or do they fall into some niche product rules?