Is my LJ Rubicon supposed to feel gutless?

To @psdtime:

Contact Jeff Arabia at Arabia's Overkill Jeep Fabrication in Campbell. According to several friends in the area who have had work done there he does a terrific job, but he is probably not the cheapest. Even if he cannot do your job, or is too expensive, he would be a good source for referrals to other gear shops in your area.

http://arabiasoverkill.com/
I have no personal gear experience with Jeff but from talking to him about brake kits and the installation thereof, he is sharp and attentive.

The later Pentastar motor would be in it. Outstanding by the way.

I still don’t think that motor is all it’s cracked up to be. My family has a 2013 JKU that we bought new. Now has 150,000 miles. Probably 85% highway. It’s burning oil at an alarming rate. We’re just driving it until it dies considering the miles are pretty much depreciation free at this point.

On the other hand, my TJ, which has been driven by the exact same people as the JK since we bought it new in 2001, has 226,000 and absolutely no engine issues.

Anecdotal evidence I guess, but the 3.6 hasn’t treated us all that well.

I still don’t think that motor is all it’s cracked up to be. My family has a 2013 JKU that we bought new. Now has 150,000 miles. Probably 85% highway. It’s burning oil at an alarming rate. We’re just driving it until it dies considering the miles are pretty much depreciation free at this point.

On the other hand, my TJ, which has been driven by the exact same people as the JK since we bought it new in 2001, has 226,000 and absolutely no engine issues.
So, your statistical sample of one dictates how all of them are? Perfect.

So, your statistical sample of one dictates how all of them are? Perfect.

That’s why I edited in the anecdotal evidence part at the bottom, but you beat me to the quote. I don’t think it is a groundbreaking opinion that the 4.0 is more reliable than the 3.6. Burning oil isn’t unusual for 3.6’s from my research.

That’s why I edited in the anecdotal evidence part at the bottom, but you beat me to the quote. I don’t think it is a groundbreaking opinion that the 4.0 is more reliable than the 3.6. Burning oil isn’t unusual for 3.6’s from my research.
If absolute reliability is your metric, then we should all be running the 60 hp Go Devil motor out of the old Willy's manufactured with today's technology. Myself, I'll temper a basic level of reliability with a lot higher performance with much less weight and call that outstanding.

Why are you disappointed? Are you spinning too many RPMs at highway speeds?
No, about 2800 @75mph. The Jeep is still gutless. Going up a slight incline it quickly loses speed/power. My expectations are too high for this platform, I get it. But I’m not just complaining im doing something about it.
I only responded to voice a different experience. I just expected more by the way people tout the upgrade. Yes it made a small difference, small.

Reactions: Lunch Patterson
If absolute reliability is your metric, then we should all be running the 60 hp Go Devil motor out of the old Willy's manufactured with today's technology. Myself, I'll temper a basic level of reliability with a lot higher performance with much less weight and call that outstanding.

I don’t value absolute reliability over all else. But I do want more reliability than I’ve found and many others have found with the 3.6L. With a perfect maintenance history and all highway miles (yes, they’re all on interstates pretty much), I would’ve liked my 3.6L to have lasted longer.

The 4.0 certainly isn’t perfect, but I think it’s great for what I use it for and the reliability is a bonus. I’m sure the 4.0 sucks for the racing scenarios you brought up when we had this discussion over a year ago.

No, about 2800 @75mph. The Jeep is still gutless. Going up a slight incline it quickly loses speed/power. My expectations are too high for this platform, I get it. But I’m not just complaining im doing something about it.
I only responded to voice a different experience. I just expected more by the way people tout the upgrade. Yes it made a small difference, small.
It really sounds like you have something else going on. I'm one who re-geared when I went from stock size tires to JK 32" take-offs or from 3.73 to 4.88 and it was more than a small difference. When you go up the inclines are you kicking it out of OD?

I don’t value absolute reliability over all else. But I do want more reliability than I’ve found and many others have found with the 3.6L. With a perfect maintenance history and all highway miles (yes, they’re all on interstates pretty much), I would’ve liked my 3.6L to have lasted longer.

The 4.0 certainly isn’t perfect, but I think it’s great for what I use it for and the reliability is a bonus. I’m sure the 4.0 sucks for the racing scenarios you brought up when we had this discussion over a year ago.
We all think about things differently. I just happen to be one who accepts the 4.0 for the POS it is and don't happen to place it on any pedestal of admiration. They are the AW-4 of the motor world. They are fairly tough, that's it.

Reactions: jodomcfrodo
It really sounds like you have something else going on. I'm one who re-geared when I went from stock size tires to JK 32" take-offs or from 3.73 to 4.88 and it was more than a small difference. When you go up the inclines are you kicking it out of OD?
I do not, should I? I let it kick down on its own. I think the biggest problem is the elevation as I stated above. I just had it dyno, 107HP @the wheels.

I do not, should I? I let it kick down on its own. I think the biggest problem is the elevation as I stated above. I just had it dyno, 107HP @the wheels.
Generally, the 4.0 will not pull much of an incline with any gearing and 35's and the auto in OD. At elevation, it is just worse and you may try kicking it out of OD with the button and see if that improves your driving experience. If not, you may be looking for some assistance in the form of abnormal aspiration.

• Haha
Reactions: tomtaylz
Generally, the 4.0 will not pull much of an incline with any gearing and 35's and the auto in OD. At elevation, it is just worse and you may try kicking it out of OD with the button and see if that improves your driving experience. If not, you may be looking for some assistance in the form of abnormal aspiration.
I will definitely try that. But yes I will be installing a supercharger.

I paid ~$2K to regear my '05 LJR about 2 years ago. It was done by a very reputable guy who does multiple regears per week. Personally, I would focus on the reputation of the shop doing the work with price being a secondary consideration.

To @psdtime:

Contact Jeff Arabia at Arabia's Overkill Jeep Fabrication in Campbell. According to several friends in the area who have had work done there he does a terrific job, but he is probably not the cheapest. Even if he cannot do your job, or is too expensive, he would be a good source for referrals to other gear shops in your area.

http://arabiasoverkill.com/
Arabia was also suggested by a friend of mine.
Thanks again