Is my power steering pressure too high?

PXM

Supporting Member
Hello to the forum from a new guy!

2000 TJ 2.5L 5sp

My power steering pressure switch diaphragms keep failing and leaking fluid through the plug connection, I'm on my 4th in two years, two within the past week!

I replaced the steering gear box about a month ago with NAPA reman Part #: NSP 88278111 as the input shaft seal had a leak. I also installed a Magna-Pure inline filter per the warranty requirements.

I found the following in the FSM: "The power steering pump is a constant flow rate and displacement, vane-type pump. The pump internal parts operate submerged in fluid. The flow control orifice is part of the high pressure line fitting. The pressure relief valve inside the flow control valve limits the pump pressure."

Should I assume that the pump is good and be thinking about a bad pressure relief valve? Can the pump even generate enough pressure to damage the diaphragm or is that just to keep it from burning up at full lock?

I'm hoping someone can point me in the right direction here!

It's probably worth mentioning the last 2 switches were Advance/Carquest Part # SAA3762

Thanks!

HaHa! That's why I mentioned where it was from. So you're thinking they're just dud parts? Would NAPA be any better or are you recommending a Mopar part?
I try for Mopar on most critical parts but NAPA commonly carries better quality parts if you ask for their premium level.