Is the 07-11 JK all that bad?

2007 to 2011 JKs are garbage. They are cheap for a reason. Buy on and find out why :)

+1

I think this particular year range of Jeeps is why the value of used TJ's is so high. A friend's dad has a JK with the 3.8L and a manual, just pure garbage. The 3.8L is gutless, and his drinks more oil than gas. So much oil that the cat converters have clogged, and Chrysler considers it "normal", I think it even says it in the owners's manual that something like 1 quart per 1000 miles is normal oil consumption. :confused:

+1

I think this particular year range of Jeeps is why the value of used TJ's is so high. A friend's dad has a JK with the 3.8L and a manual, just pure garbage. The 3.8L is gutless, and his drinks more oil than gas. So much oil that the cat converters have clogged, and Chrysler considers it "normal", I think it even says it in the owners's manual that something like 1 quart per 1000 miles is normal oil consumption. :confused:
if there was an economical and simple way to engine swap this particular model range it would become one of the most sought-after used vehicles. They are so plentiful.

+1

Having driven both, I am convinced my 4.0 has slightly more power than the 3.8.

There’s a reason the 07-11 JKs are usually going for cheaper than a clean TJ 😉

Reactions: jeepguy03
if there was an economical and simple way to engine swap this particular model range it would become one of the most sought-after used vehicles. They are so plentiful.

I think there are so many (at least around here) because they were the first 4-door Wrangler, and most of the ones I see are 4 door.

Reactions: Tob
I wonder how many guys that are bashing the 3.8 actually owned one?

I bought mine new and put 36k miles on it with zero problems. Power is easy to get out of it with simple bolt ons and a tune.

Now on the other hand, my 2015 JKR went back as a lemon after months of trying to get it to stop leaking and I never removed the hardtop. Plus the transmission went out on me at 4k miles and was repaired twice under warranty.

• Wow
Reactions: TJ2
This thread made me go dig up old threads on the JK forum when they were discussing the 3.8. It's incredible how much BS they fed themselves to convince the masses the 3.8 is a good engine.

I was not tickled with the JL. Maybe because I am too old for it (sensors and all).
Technology was developed so fast that humans (general population) are left behind catching up on it.
YES! I like my '04 Rubi way better than my '18 JL!!!

Reactions: TJ2
Having driven both, I am convinced my 4.0 has slightly more power than the 3.8.

There’s a reason the 07-11 JKs are usually going for cheaper than a clean TJ 😉
They really are though, I've seen a few 07-08 JKRs in my area for under $10k. You can't touch a clean TJR for that around here.

Reactions: Tob and Midwest
They really are though, I've seen a few 07-08 JKRs in my area for under $10k. You can't touch a clean TJR for that around here.

Yep, and there’s a reason for that, anyone who has done their research would honestly rather just have a TJR.

I've had one 3.8 JK and two 3.6 JKUs. All manuals. One of the 3.6s was with 3.21s and the other with 3.73s. The 3.8 was a stock Rubicon with 4.11s.

I didn't have any issues with the 3.8, but I think the combination of the 4.11s, the 6 speed and it being a JK vs a JKU was why. It was fine around town and on the highway, and had no issues with my small utility trailer. I only got rid of it because I needed more room.

That said, mine was a 2011... You couldn't pay me to drive one with the '07-'10 interior.

If the 3.8 is that bad, maybe said JKs are good candidates for a "spark plug delete".
Don't start it. My 3.6L I have to remove all the top manifold just to reach the spark plugs with a universal gimbal socket wrench. Near the firewall you cannot even see the spark plugs, I did it by finger feel with the socket.

Don't start it. My 3.6L I have to remove all the top manifold just to reach the spark plugs with a universal gimbal socket wrench. Near the firewall you cannot even see the spark plugs, I did it by finger feel with the socket.

Aren't they 100k mile Iridium plugs? At least they should be if they are that hard to get to. I replaced all 16 plugs in my dad's Grand Cherokee 5.7L with NGK Iridiums. No way I'm doing 16 plugs every 30k miles. :LOL:

IMO, the 3.6 is a good engine, 270HP/280T - right at 4.8LS numbers. My Ram van for my business has a 3.6, and with all tools and ladders, weighed 5400lbs, still got 15-16 in town, and plenty of power. The biggest flaw is the rocker, which tend to fail. I drove mine with two bad cams for several thousand miles. Catch them before they tear into the cam, they are cheap fix, but once they get the cam, it gets $$. Two exhaust cams failed, 12 rockers, and specialty tools was $800. One they start to tick, get it in the shop. Mine has 155,000, and the inside was clean as a whistle, no buildup anywhere. Carnage for your enjoyment.

IMG_20200510_154735.jpg

IMG_20200510_154744.jpg

IMG_20200510_154754.jpg

IMG_20200510_154810.jpg

My wife drives an 08 unlimited rubicon on 35's. Bought it last year w/ 72k miles. Picked it up for $12,600. With stock gears, it has noticeably less torque than my 4.0 on 35's w/ 4.10 gears, but better acceleration after 1st gear and has a much better ride. My brother and a buddy have the newer 3.6 pentastar engine and I've replaced rockers and lifters in both of theirs. That engine definitely has more power. I've driven all three Personally, I don't think the early JK's are a bad jeep at all, but I still love my TJ.