Is the 32RH a good transmission?

Those tables are way more expensive than you’d think. There are a few tools you’ll need. Snap ring pliers & lock ring pliers are a must. Inch pound torque wrench, feeler gauge too. If you have to replace the brass bushings, you may find that a press is handy but not required. And then there’s a piston compressor you need to get down into the drums to change out some seals. You can buy one for like $50, but a lot of guys make their own.

I also needed an 8mm crowfoot for the kickdown band adjustment, and ratcheting wrenches make the low reverse band adjustment easier too. But none of that is required.
X2. And when I needed a 1/4" torque wrench for working on my automatic transmission, I found a real bargain at Harbor Freight Tools. It was on sale for frigging $9.95, and it's normal $19.95 price was a bargain already.
20180626_093838_resized.jpg

I dunno but all this is why the Owner's Manual says the transmission must be in Neutral (and engine running) when checking 2002 and older TJ automatics for the ATF level. :)

It’s the valve body program with the check balls, Sonnax did a mod where it will pump in park, but it has to be done by someone other that a stock shop.

Reactions: Jerry Bransford
Those tables are way more expensive than you’d think. There are a few tools you’ll need. Snap ring pliers & lock ring pliers are a must. Inch pound torque wrench, feeler gauge too. If you have to replace the brass bushings, you may find that a press is handy but not required. And then there’s a piston compressor you need to get down into the drums to change out some seals. You can buy one for like $50, but a lot of guys make their own.

I also needed an 8mm crowfoot for the kickdown band adjustment, and ratcheting wrenches make the low reverse band adjustment easier too. But none of that is required.

Yes, the tables ARE very expensive. My plan was to find a SS table/counter from and industrial kitchen and build a bench from that. More likely build a bench "top" that I can store against a wall to save space, then when needed, sit it on top of one of my existing benches or even saw horses. I dont have the piston compressor but im guessing I could make one, I have everything else including the press.

X2. And when I needed a 1/4" torque wrench for working on my automatic transmission, I found a real bargain at Harbor Freight Tools. It was on sale for frigging $9.95, and it's normal $19.95 price was a bargain already.
View attachment 400863

I am good on 1/4 torque wrenches, I have a dial type for preload set up a standard click type for general torqueing and a screw driver type for working in my gunsmith shop (Scope rings, bases and bottom metal). Things you never knew you needed till you needed them LOL

Reactions: Jerry Bransford
Agree with Jerry, I would absolutely make sure your fluid level is good, and drop the pan to inspect before I undertook the job. When you say "slipping" do you really mean slow to engage? Or legit slipping, input RPMs don't match the output speed?

The good news is that a rebuild is absolutely a job you can do in your garage if you have a decent attention to detail. I had never opened up a transmission before but successfully rebuilt mine last summer. The FSM & the ATSG are pretty much invaluable resources. There's a long thread here detailing my misadventures during that process. I also video'd a lot (but not all) of it. I too wanted to add this to my list of things that aren't a big deal, mission accomplished.

Haaa Too funny, I already found and saved your whole series on YT and started watching it/them last week.

• Love
Reactions: hear
I have a 32RH in my 99 4.0 TJ and love it. My buddy is a transmission mechanic and a Jeep guy from way back. He knows I prefer auto trans and said you better get the 32RH. We traded work and he rebuilt mine to make it bullet proof. According him its the best jeep auto trans for the TJ period.