Is the Fram Ultra Synthetic oil filter worth the extra money?

Goatman

TJ Expert
Supporting Member
Been using the Tough Guard version. Now I see a Ultra Synthetic oil filter. Fram claims 99% filtration with the Tough Guard. 99+% with the Ultra Synth. Plus a bunch of fancy additions to the filter media that produces Unicorn darts as you drive. Anybody know about this filter? Is it worth the extra cash?

Anybody know about this filter? Is it worth the extra cash?

They are meant for the new "extended protection" oils that suggest 15k mile or 20k mile change intervals. I wouldn't pay extra for one as I change oil at between 5k miles and 7.5k miles.

Reactions: Jerry Bransford
OEM Filter is a WIX if I'm not mistaken
No, it is similar to Motorcraft and not much else. The MO-090 is nothing like most common filters sold, it has the valves integral to the threads at the base of the filter and is a much more expensive filter to build. Take a look at one the next time you are at the parts store, the difference is obvious.

Reactions: Lou
No, it is similar to Motorcraft and not much else. The MO-090 is nothing like most common filters sold, it has the valves integral to the threads at the base of the filter and is a much more expensive filter to build. Take a look at one the next time you are at the parts store, the difference is obvious.

And at only $6 at Walmart, why would you use anything else? OEM filters have never let me down.

And at only $6 at Walmart, why would you use anything else? OEM filters have never let me down.
I'm on the same page. People have their favorite brands and I just try to talk about the differences as plainly as I can so I don't ruffle too many feathers. In the end if people like orange they're going to run orange.

And at only $6 at Walmart, why would you use anything else?

One thing I remember when I've used the MOPAR filter is how thin the wall of the can is. You can crush it in by hand.

Fram makes good filters, but this one is snake oil if you ask me. It's a way for them to make more money off the people out there who truly believe that if it says "synthetic" on the label, it must be superior. :rolleyes:

Amen . It’s a crock. Synthetic filter . I’m sure , or hope at least , they mean it’s a different filter media .

You could probably take 2 identical 4.0 engines , and for one go to a quick oil change and screw on any filter that fits you find they have removed from vehicles , and another with whatever filter , and they both would out last the seats , the steering wheel , the drivetrain and about everything on the vehicle .

I’m not saying a 4.0 is so good it doesn’t deserve good care , but it is based off of the 258 that in its’ day , would outlast about every gas burning engine in production .

There are things about the 4.0 I don’t like ( weight, output , fuel economy ), but durability isn’t one of them .

Reactions: Hog
I’m all for the 4.0s durability, but I would never bet any oil filter would last 20 years of use... my oem seats were mint when I threw them in the dumpster.

Don't care about the fancy words. They say they use a better filter media and it traps more crap.
Paint it blue, paint it red, doesn't matter. It's the filter media that is the most important part. Went to Amazon for the normal Tough Guard and saw this new one. With the description and pic of each level of filter. Shows and claims better media inside. That was the question. Not what is your favorite color or belief in a subterranean oil field run by snakes. Everyone knows that earthworms pump out the best oil!

Amen . It’s a crock. Synthetic filter . I’m sure , or hope at least , they mean it’s a different filter media .

You could probably take 2 identical 4.0 engines , and for one go to a quick oil change and screw on any filter that fits you find they have removed from vehicles , and another with whatever filter , and they both would out last the seats , the steering wheel , the drivetrain and about everything on the vehicle .

I’m not saying a 4.0 is so good it doesn’t deserve good care , but it is based off of the 258 that in its’ day , would outlast about every gas burning engine in production .

There are things about the 4.0 I don’t like ( weight, output , fuel economy ), but durability isn’t one of them .

I agree. A regular oil change schedule is the key.

Wow, sounds like a waste of good seats to me. You just threw cash in the trash.

they were posted for sale on Craigslist and Facebook for $100. They did not come with brackets which is probably why no one wanted them. I could not afford to continue storing them in my small garage.