Is the Mopar water pump impeller plastic or metal?

The original that came off my ‘96 was plastic. The replacement MOPAR one was plastic too.

Found my old oem water pump. Scratching with my fingernail, it sure sounds like metal. But when I scrape it with a knife, it cuts exactly like glass reenforced plastic. Very good glass reenforced plastic.

20200918_182201.jpg

20200918_182212.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: MountaineerTom
Found my old oem water pump. Scratching with my fingernail, it sure sounds like metal. But when I scrape it with a knife, it cuts exactly like glass reenforced plastic. Very good glass reenforced plastic.

View attachment 190659
View attachment 190660

I'm amazed that thing is actually plastic. Seriously. I really thought it was metal. Probably tells you how much of a noob I am.

I'm amazed that thing is actually plastic. Seriously. I really thought it was metal. Probably tells you how much of a noob I am.
His or yours? Yours could be aluminum, that would mean they anodized it. Possible, not probable though. But before you get too amazed that something with very little axial load on it is made from plastic, take a peek at your power steering pump pulley some time.

His or yours? Yours could be aluminum, that would mean they anodized it. Possible, not probable though. But before you get too amazed that something with very little axial load on it is made from plastic, take a peek at your power steering pump pulley some time.
It's plastic. Anything else I can cut up while I'm here?
20200918_200714.jpg

Reactions: MountaineerTom

Mine. I suspect it's the same as jjvw's but new condition.

I'm look at that pulley over the weekend. I'll be prepared to be surprised.

It's plastic. Anything else I can cut up while I'm here?
View attachment 190675
Why yes, yes it is. High performance fiber filled polymer capable of handling the load of the tensioner and the power required to turn the pump. And before anyone dismisses that as being a small load, it takes 3-5 horsepower to turn the pump at full load.

Note also that it is a press fit onto the pump shaft which means the arbor has to be able to withstand the expansion forces when pressed on without cracking. Pretty cool application of an engineered polymer. The Glock of steering pump pulleys.

Is this a Mopar pump? Metal impeller. No sign of the Mopar star on the housing. Owner bought it from WeAreMopar several years ago as a Mopar part. We are replacing it in our hotel parking lot in Moab right now.

Came off of a 97

20210426_104612.jpg
20210426_104623.jpg

Last edited:
Is this a Mopar pump? Metal impeller. No sign of the Mopar star on the housing. Owner bought it from WeAreMopar several years ago as a Mopar part. We are replacing it in our hotel parking lot in Moab right now.

View attachment 247169View attachment 247170
That doesn't look Mopar to me. The flange where the fan mounts is different than what I'm used to seeing?

View attachment 247169View attachment 247170
Looks just like mine did. Maybe Mopar USA, Mexico, India and China have slight differences in their parts. The sad truth.