Is the slave cylinder supposed to be floppy?

Slaverson

Is my slave cylinder supposed to have this much play in it?

I put my transmission all back together and went to test out the pedal which caused the slave cylinder extend its travel all the way. It ended up overextending and popping out in the bell housing getting fluid everywhere.

The slave cylinder shaft is all floppy and I will post a video in a second.

I’m going to try a bleed now but I’m not sure why this happened and I don’t know if my slave cylinder is broken.

Anything helps!

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1AcFwhzBsMLq-ZtqO8bFQA0JjIMU5iGDX/view?usp=sharing

Last edited:
May need bled, the side to side motion does not scare me.

I seem to recall my slave cylinder's push rod was floppy like that. And I don't know about all years but I don't think any of the factory clutch hydraulic systems were designed to be bled... as in there isn't a bleed port that I'm aware of and there definitely wasn't one on my '97 TJ.

Been studying on that bleeding question. Seems like the backwards way to bleed it is pull the slave out and pump it in and out. That forces the air bubbles to float to the top, thus using gravity to drop the fluid down and bubbles go up. Haven’t tried it and curious if anyone else has had experience doing that?