Is their anyone out there that plan to leave their Jeep stock?

I've spent hundreds of hours and more than what I paid for it in parts. And it's stock! A daily driver getting lots of everyday miles and loving it.

Up in Kanadastan, a new JL Rubi will set you back at least 53K. Additional taxes alone - $6350! That's what I keep telling the wife.;)

Reactions: Fonz54 and DrDmoney
For about 2 weeks until the UPS man started stopping by the house

10fac_zps94192a0c.JPG

63_zps5460ff09.JPG

bestop_zps6628d6cd.JPG

sav_zpse5805e11.JPG

imagesCA0R1O50_zps5a98ca36.JPG

cover_zpsc6f9fdf1.JPG

I bought the kit from Warn, what I did not like they way it comes out of the box is that it was difficult to see the rope and be able to get to it if I needed to. I did a little wiring myself when I relocated the plug in spot to the grill just under the drivers side headlight, the other to the left is a quick coupler for my OBA. I am still think I may add the 12 volt guy setup also. I like being able to use the wired control when I need to be outside the jeep and see what is happening such as winching a log or such.

Iphone6 1423 (1).JPG

Define "Stock".

To me the line from "essentially" stock to meaningful mods starts with a lift and then increasingly significant off road suspension, drivetrain and other related modifications. By that definition I plan to stay stock.

But of course I did stuff to make it more suitable for what I want. I have 31s. Swing out tire holder/replacement bumper. I put a secure trunk in the back. Swapped out the hard top for a Best Top. I may add some lights and a winch (it will be a beach mobile). I still kind of think of that as essentially "stock". Decent highway driving is a requirement for mine.

Not poking at you specifically, but it needs to be said that the concern for maintaining streetability should not be a reason to fear modifying a Jeep.

That could be taken 2 ways.

Proper off road modification can be done in a way that maintains streetability.

-or-

If you have a Wrangler, streetability should not be a priority.

Interesting and I defer to your expertise if the first. The second would be like, just your opinion man :)

Reactions: Greenmachine
That could be taken 2 ways.

Proper off road modification can be done in a way that maintains streetability.

-or-

If you have a Wrangler, streetability should not be a priority.

Interesting and I defer to your expertise if the first. The second would be like, just your opinion man :)

I've made a concerted effort to build mine to fit into the first option. ;)

Define "Stock".

To me the line from "essentially" stock to meaningful mods starts with a lift and then increasingly significant off road suspension, drivetrain and other related modifications. By that definition I plan to stay stock.

But of course I did stuff to make it more suitable for what I want. I have 31s. Swing out tire holder/replacement bumper. I put a secure trunk in the back. Swapped out the hard top for a Best Top. I may add some lights and a winch (it will be a beach mobile). I still kind of think of that as essentially "stock". Decent highway driving is a requirement for mine.
Yes. I agree. Mods are modifications. Like Lifts, Superchargers, Tummy Tucks. Actual changes beyond cosmetic.

The rest are accessories. Like Roof Racks, Lighting, Radios, Half or Tubular Doors, Angry Eyes. Even tire size changes if they don't require a regear or lift should be options since Jeep offers tires/wheels as options from the factory. Winches are definitely an accessory, option, the CJ had a Capstan Winch Option in the 1940s. It gets grey when you add Winch Bumper, Spare Tire Carriers. But I still think of a mod as something which alters the powertrain.

The grey area is changing roofs, flares, fenders. High Performance Shocks or Brakes, is that a mod or just maintenance?

Given another go around with a TJ, I'd do it very, very mild. A 2.5" lift, 31" tires, a decent front bumper and a winch, but that's about it.

I think they look really darn good in stock form. An interesting thing I've noticed about myself is that the older I get, the more I appreciate things the way they left the factory.
Betting you'd pull that perfectly usable Original Equipment RBK AM/FM/CD . . . with big buttons, readable clock, and a design/finish that matches the interior . . . . and replace it.

Replace it with something with an unreadable clock, micro-mini buttons , multi colored flashing light show that never shuts off, 300 page 'Users Manual' written in a strange manner, Blue/Green/Red/Rottentooth capable . . . . . did I mention the built-in micro-wave ?

Stock?

😎 🤭

Reactions: derekmac
I've had several Wranglers and modified every one of them. But my TJR I have brought back to stock. I got tired of the endless need of one mod creating a weakness leading to a new mod.... endless cycle of spending money. Jeep did a great job building the TJ and no aftermarket supplier or shop has near the money Chrysler/Jeep does for research & engineering.

All I have not stock now is the AEV HighLine body kit and 33s. You want a trouble free TJ, keep it stock. It is debatable if any mods actually increase performance.
This is a great post. It’s becoming well known that close to stock is a good plan .

So many of these are messed up due to hybrid and partial builds. Folks run out of money or enthusiasm, or worse , they think it’s ok , and sometimes it’s close to dangerous .

Most of what folks refer to as a “build” is really an appearance change ....and that’s no sin. It’s a free world .
I think it’s good that people read on this forum the pros and cons , because there are so many experienced owners on here.

Good job.

Last edited:
The concern to maintain streetability is not a fear, it is a goal.

It was a specific goal for my not stock Jeep, as well. With some knowledge and understanding, one can have the best of both worlds.

My point is that no one needs to defend the decision to keep the Jeep stock(ish). But to rationalize and justify that decision by making inaccurate claims about unavoidable inherent qualities of a modified Jeep is deeply flawed and misleading.

Given another go around with a TJ, I'd do it very, very mild. A 2.5" lift, 31" tires, a decent front bumper and a winch, but that's about it.

Funny you should mention that. That is exactly what I have and it has been perfect for me. I have heard the siren call for larger tires, higher lift, tummy tucks, etc. but for what I do these things would be of little value. Of course I did install a turbocharger which sort of puts the lie to what I just said, but it has been transformational and I do not regret it.