Is there a snorkel for TJ that will still enable you to put the windscreen down?

I'm interested to know what you're doing with that jeep. The venn diagram of people who post here and people who have a snorkel is pretty much two distinct circles. Of course the venn diagram of people who have a snorkel vs people who use a snorkel is almost two distinct circles as well.

And folding down the windshield is an even further outlier. It would be wierd on a TJ, the roll bars would just be hanging there with the thing folded down right?

I'm interested to know what you're doing with that jeep. The venn diagram of people who post here and people who have a snorkel is pretty much two distinct circles. Of course the venn diagram of people who have a snorkel vs people who use a snorkel is almost two distinct circles as well.

And folding down the windshield is an even further outlier. It would be wierd on a TJ, the roll bars would just be hanging there with the thing folded down right?

Thank you for your response. So this was a generalised question as I’m new to owning a Jeep. Growing up on Arnie films I always wanted a Jeep so I could take the roof & doors off and fold the windscreen down. I will probably try it off road at some point but people have been asking if I will put a snorkel on it, especially with the bad weather here in the UK and the localised flooding. I didn’t think attaching a snorkel would be possible if I wanted to fold the windscreen so thought I’d ask the forum in case there was a particular one designed to be used with a folded windscreen?

All the snorkel kits I've seen attach to the windshield. maybe a stiff bracket mounted to the fender?

I was just wondering if anyone knew if there was a snorkel kit on the market that would still enable you to fold down the windscreen on my Jeep Wrangler TJ. Many thanks

This picture looks like it's possible.
Hard to tell if the snorkel is attached to the windshield frame or just the hinge.

s-l1600 (1).jpg

I'd imagine since they're all plastic they'd disconnect quickly enough. Or Id find a tree branch to do it for me...

If I didn't have a long list of other priority upgrades I'd consider a snorkel just to get my intake up out of the dust and one of those cyclone pre filters.

Also hard enough to see out of the small windshield... don't want more things obstructing your view... something to consider.

-Mac

Reactions: MikekiM
I was just wondering if anyone knew if there was a snorkel kit on the market that would still enable you to fold down the windscreen on my Jeep Wrangler TJ. Many thanks

You'll not find a great deal of love for snorkels here. I think they were initially a solution to dust rather than water; what you will often be asked is if all the water vulnerable electrical equipment has been protected. I can't speak for any parts of the US, but from my experience of the UK I can very much see that there is a benefit of a snorkel. I don't see it as a way of equiping a TJ to do epic river crossings, but having seen somebody I know hydrolock an engine when water they were crossing turned out to be a bit deeper than expected I can see the benefit of a snorkel as a form of insurance. A replacement starter motor is a lot cheaper than a replacement engine - which is what happened to the one that was hydrolocked.

Back to your question. In short I've not seen one that allows the windscreen to be folded down. But, by way of a data point I have never lowered my windscreen in about 10 years of TJ ownership. If it were me I'd not not get a storkel just in case I wanted to fold the windscreen forward.

I like folding down my windshield/windscreen sometimes. I don't have a snorkel, but as you can tell from some of the replies so far, that's because if you get to a point where water is above the level of the stock air intake, you probably also have bigger problems already ... unless you've done other mods on your TJ.

You might want to look into some cold-air intakes that come out the side of the hood. Not as tall/high as a snorkel, but still allow you to see exactly when/whether water level is approaching the intake.

Reactions: xXDavidCXx