Is there a snorkel for TJ that will still enable you to put the windscreen down?

I make my dog wear one when we do water crossings. You can't be too prepared. :cool:
scubadog (2017_11_20 00_38_12 UTC).jpg

Has it ever occurred to anyone that if you have something like 6 linear feet of ducting to an intake that it is near impossible to clean that, and the more dirt that lines it the more unstable it is.

The original air filters we ON the carburetor. That is a short run.

Reactions: tr21triton
Has it ever occurred to anyone that if you have something like 6 linear feet of ducting to an intake that it is near impossible to clean that, and the more dirt that lines it the more unstable it is.

The original air filters we ON the carburetor. That is a short run.

A snorkel could be useful when fording deep bodies of water, but as a DD going to and from school/work/grocery store, not so much.

A snorkel could be useful when fording deep bodies of water, but as a DD going to and from school/work/grocery store, not so much.

And deep bodies of water never killed anyone either :rolleyes:

Snorkels just give the driver a false sense of security

Well at a glance it looks like it would- And maybe that’s because it gives the impression that you can actually submerge the vehicle up to the roof

In my mind you’re safe up to the point you start ingesting water into the transmission and electronics.

And deep bodies of water never killed anyone either :rolleyes:

Sadly three guys were killed doing a water crossing in the UK just before Christmas. The crossing is on a known track that several people I know have driven and crossed. But there has been a lot of rain across the UK in recent weeks and river levels are much higher than usual. They got stuck and the current was strong enough to roll their vehicle and carry it about 400 yards down stream.

Well at a glance it looks like it would- And maybe that’s because it gives the impression that you can actually submerge the vehicle up to the roof

In my mind you’re safe up to the point you start ingesting water into the transmission and electronics.

You need the tailpipe out of the water too.
Large balls help.. :cool:

Reactions: AndyG
You'll not find a great deal of love for snorkels here. I think they were initially a solution to dust rather than water; what you will often be asked is if all the water vulnerable electrical equipment has been protected. I can't speak for any parts of the US, but from my experience of the UK I can very much see that there is a benefit of a snorkel. I don't see it as a way of equiping a TJ to do epic river crossings, but having seen somebody I know hydrolock an engine when water they were crossing turned out to be a bit deeper than expected I can see the benefit of a snorkel as a form of insurance. A replacement starter motor is a lot cheaper than a replacement engine - which is what happened to the one that was hydrolocked.

Back to your question. In short I've not seen one that allows the windscreen to be folded down. But, by way of a data point I have never lowered my windscreen in about 10 years of TJ ownership. If it were me I'd not not get a storkel just in case I wanted to fold the windscreen forward.

Folding the windshield down and removing the doors is a rite of passage for Jeep ownership. It was one of the first things I did when I ordered my TJ in 1997. I haven't done it again in 26 years. But, at least that is off my bucket list.🤪

Last edited:
Sadly three guys were killed doing a water crossing in the UK just before Christmas. The crossing is on a known track that several people I know have driven and crossed. But there has been a lot of rain across the UK in recent weeks and river levels are much higher than usual. They got stuck and the current was strong enough to roll their vehicle and carry it about 400 yards down stream.

I would think that one would want to keep the water out of the cab as much as possible in situations of high water level. Therefore, removing the windshield defeats the purpose. Theoretically, the water is below the snorkel. But, if you remove the windshield, you drown. So, a snorkel seems of no help if you remove the windshield.