Is there a thread for an A/C install?

Jon Wildes

TJ Padawan
Supporting Member
I am going to install an air conditioner in my TJ before next summer. I haven’t found a thread on here but knowing this place there is one. Has anyone installed a new one or have any tricks or good idea on parts? Thanks in advance.

I put A/C in my project cause the wife would never ride in it if there was none. When going to the Sierras in the summer and the San Joaquin/Sacramento valley is 115/43 degrees out, the air is fowl with smoke, ag and livestock smells, the A/C makes it possible to travel in more comfort.

I purchased a used A/C unit from a salvage yard that was removed from the salvage vehicle. It included the following parts you'll need:

A/C compressor & mount hardware
A/C engine bracket & mount hardware
Condenser & lines with high pressure switch
receiver/dryer & bracket for it with the low pressure switch
HVAC under dash unit with both heater core & evaporator installed in it
HVAC control unit for dash and relative cables
HVAC fuse and relay in PDC

Install was straight forward:

Disconnect battery
R & R old under dash plenum unit and the controls for it in the dash
Plug in the new controller and any lines
Install the relay and fuse in the PDC (depending on year, may already be there)
install the evaperator core in front of the radiator
install the A/C adapter bracket, A/C pump and use attachment hardware
Find A/C clutch wire in harness and break it out to connect the A/C magnetic clutch up
Install all high & low pressure lines with switches.
The wiring is already coming out the firewall for the low pressure/accumulator or receiver/dryer low pressure switch
Attach the plug that came with the high and low pressure switches to your Jeeps under hood harness
Evacuate for 30-45 minutes under 30 in. Hg. to remove all air and atmospheric moisture that has found it's way into the system when opened
Reconnect battery
Recharge pag oil and R134 refrigerant while engine is running checking the temp and pressures on your manifold gauge set
Confirm all is operational and disconnect/replace dust caps on port fittings.
Done!

The used A/C system pulled from a working running A/C wreck in the junkyard cost me $450 for everything plus $69 for the R134 which there is enough to do two or three more services in the can.

If you don't have a manifold gauge set or vacuum pump for A/C work, some shops will evacuate and recharge your system for a fee. If you have no leaks and changed any "O" rings that might be suspect, you shouldn't have any leaks. Price for this service varies, I own my vacuum pump and manifold gauge set so this service wasn't needed.

RE

I put A/C in my project cause the wife would never ride in it if there was none. When going to the Sierras in the summer and the San Joaquin/Sacramento valley is 115/43 degrees out, the air is fowl with smoke, ag and livestock smells, the A/C makes it possible to travel in more comfort.

I purchased a used A/C unit from a salvage yard that was removed from the salvage vehicle. It included the following parts you'll need:

A/C compressor & mount hardware
A/C engine bracket & mount hardware
Condenser & lines with high pressure switch
receiver/dryer & bracket for it with the low pressure switch
HVAC under dash unit with both heater core & evaporator installed in it
HVAC control unit for dash and relative cables
HVAC fuse and relay in PDC

Install was straight forward:

Disconnect battery
R & R old under dash plenum unit and the controls for it in the dash
Plug in the new controller and any lines
Install the relay and fuse in the PDC (depending on year, may already be there)
install the evaperator core in front of the radiator
install the A/C adapter bracket, A/C pump and use attachment hardware
Find A/C clutch wire in harness and break it out to connect the A/C magnetic clutch up
Install all high & low pressure lines with switches.
The wiring is already coming out the firewall for the low pressure/accumulator or receiver/dryer low pressure switch
Attach the plug that came with the high and low pressure switches to your Jeeps under hood harness
Evacuate for 30-45 minutes under 30 in. Hg. to remove all air and atmospheric moisture that has found it's way into the system when opened
Reconnect battery
Recharge pag oil and R134 refrigerant while engine is running checking the temp and pressures on your manifold gauge set
Confirm all is operational and disconnect/replace dust caps on port fittings.
Done!

The used A/C system pulled from a working running A/C wreck in the junkyard cost me $450 for everything plus $69 for the R134 which there is enough to do two or three more services in the can.

If you don't have a manifold gauge set or vacuum pump for A/C work, some shops will evacuate and recharge your system for a fee. If you have no leaks and changed any "O" rings that might be suspect, you shouldn't have any leaks. Price for this service varies, I own my vacuum pump and manifold gauge set so this service wasn't needed.

RE
I have a set of gauges and my old man installed and serviced HVAC for a living in houses so he can help with the rest. I appreciate the thorough run down. I have a Jeep specialized salvage yard here in Memphis I’ll be checking out.

I installed a "Jeep Air" kit in my 2000 TJ the summer before last. It is a good kit, some of the parts are aftermarket some are OEM. I spent the extra $100.00 for the better compressor. The wires for the high and low switches, compressor etc are already tucked back in the looms from the factory. On my 2000 the compressor mounts low on the drivers side, I found that a bit of a pain, getting the hoses to clear the steering column. A co worker installed the same kit on his 97 after hearing about mine. I like the compressor mounting on his 97 better, high on the passenger side. Everything goes right where it did on the factory A/C option. The condenser fits right where is should. Any parts you need down the road are the same parts on the OEM system so there will be no problem getting parts should the need arise. You have to remove the dash to install the evaporator, cut a hole in the housing, put a door actuator in there and some other stuff. I got some good insulation to put between the evap/heater core housing and the firewall which they recommend in the kit. For me the dash removal and reinstall was the hardest part, but I am an old guy.
Having A/C in this part of the country where we often see 100 plus days, makes my Jeep much more enjoyable, removing the top is not really an option for me, and the air flow with the windows open really does not do much to cool things down until you get up past 40 mph.
I would do it again, I thought the price was reasonable and the company was good to work with.

Best of luck on your decision.

B

Reactions: ElectricWizard
Are you still looking to install a new AC?
Well, I how important it is in summer.
i wish. I am going to be selling my jeep in the next few weeks, unfortunately. Its my daily driver and I'm about to have a kid so i need to get something safer and something that the car seat can't just be stolen from.

I installed a "Jeep Air" kit in my 2000 TJ the summer before last. It is a good kit, some of the parts are aftermarket some are OEM. I spent the extra $100.00 for the better compressor. The wires for the high and low switches, compressor etc are already tucked back in the looms from the factory. On my 2000 the compressor mounts low on the drivers side, I found that a bit of a pain, getting the hoses to clear the steering column. A co worker installed the same kit on his 97 after hearing about mine. I like the compressor mounting on his 97 better, high on the passenger side. Everything goes right where it did on the factory A/C option. The condenser fits right where is should. Any parts you need down the road are the same parts on the OEM system so there will be no problem getting parts should the need arise. You have to remove the dash to install the evaporator, cut a hole in the housing, put a door actuator in there and some other stuff. I got some good insulation to put between the evap/heater core housing and the firewall which they recommend in the kit. For me the dash removal and reinstall was the hardest part, but I am an old guy.
Having A/C in this part of the country where we often see 100 plus days, makes my Jeep much more enjoyable, removing the top is not really an option for me, and the air flow with the windows open really does not do much to cool things down until you get up past 40 mph.
I would do it again, I thought the price was reasonable and the company was good to work with.

Best of luck on your decision.

B

I got a question about the kit I recently installed one in my 4.0 2000 idk if you are still active but if so please message me