Is there a thread for interior repair and restoration?

bedhed

TJ Enthusiast
Supporting Member
Anyone know if there is a thread for interior repair and/or restoration? I tried a search, but that didn't turn up anything.

What needs fixed? There are many threads about interior repair but they are usually specific to one thing like interior panel paint or floorboard repair.

I have a couple of things that need some attention. I've seen a couple threads for those, the infamous door panel crack and the fragile defrost grill.

With our TJs getting some age on them, I was thinking a one-stop thread would be handy, if we didn't already have one. I haven't seen the panel painting thread, I'll search for that one and check it out.

Reactions: Sancho
Does using something like 303 actually help ward off the UV brittleness? I believed the Armor All crap for years. If yes, then I better get the move on before I have to ask the same thing🤔

Reactions: bedhed
Does using something like 303 actually help ward off the UV brittleness? I believed the Armor All crap for years. If yes, then I better get the move on before I have to ask the same thing🤔
I'm not sure, but that's a good one for the thread! I'm digging through some files that I've come across over the past year or so. I'm down for compiling the info and putting the thread together if anyone has any other points or links to add.

Goatman, I seem to recall a point in time where I was researching products like that. Hopefully I've saved links or files, if I did research that.

I'm tagging along for the fragile defroster grill. I've seen some posts on here where folks have removed the plastic piece and glued in a replacement. Getting ready to look to do that on mine.

There are several smaller companies that offer better solutions when talking about Armor All. Check out Adam’s and Chemical Guys. Adam’s being my go to.

Bonded a piece of Naugahyde to the upper door panel using the panel groove as a start point. I removed the window seal, folded over the panel and reinstalled the seal.

door panel.JPG

@AndyG has an excellent thread about the infamous door panel crack which he repaired. Looked so good you couldn't even tell it was ever there to begin with!
Clean it with alcohol and put blue tape on either side of the crack and use black RTV and don't try to smooth it ...leave it a little textured.. you can use a little piece of wadded up aluminum foil with soap and water on it to keep it from smearing to give it the texture and then pull the tape .

If you ever have the door panel off if you will put some backing on it with silicone and rigid plastic or epoxy you have a better chance of it lasting.

They also sell plastic welding material and you can probably use a soldering iron and some of that I'm sure there's a low-cost way to set yourself up.

Reactions: bedhed and Chris
I am really surprised Crown hasnt began to offer a solution for TJ/LJ interior pieces like half door panels (very hard to find in great shape), full door panels, upper dash panels, and the center dash trim. I’m confident that they would have no issues making their money back from designing and manufacturing molds.

I’m also surprised I haven't seen much mention here about grouping together to source manufacturing.

There are several smaller companies that offer better solutions when talking about Armor All. Check out Adam’s and Chemical Guys. Adam’s being my go to.

Adam's is a good one. I started heavily diving into the detailing world for about a month late last year. Most of the people that have been doing it for a while recommended staying away from Chemical Guys. They were talking about CG products mostly being marketing hype and not good in general.

Adam's is a good one. I started heavily diving into the detailing world for about a month late last year. Most of the people that have been doing it for a while recommended staying away from Chemical Guys. They were talking about CG products mostly being marketing hype and not good in general.
I like a few of their things. But I do agree.

I'm tagging along for the fragile defroster grill. I've seen some posts on here where folks have removed the plastic piece and glued in a replacement. Getting ready to look to do that on mine.
Same here. I tend to be a little too obsessive when it comes to having things look the way I want it to. With mine, I want it to look nearly OE, if not just like OE. I've been coming up with a game plan. It will be added in the new thread when I do take on that project.
@AndyG has an excellent thread about the infamous door panel crack which he repaired. Looked so good you couldn't even tell it was ever there to begin with!
I think I may have seen his post. Did he use some type of grey sealer? I agree, it did look really good!
Bonded a piece of Naugahyde to the upper door panel using the panel groove as a start point. I removed the window seal, folded over the panel and reinstalled the seal.

View attachment 141353
I came across your post too. I really like the way that turned out. Looks great! With my interior being Khaki, I've contemplated going that same route.
I am really surprised Crown hasnt began to offer a solution for TJ/LJ interior pieces like half door panels (very hard to find in great shape), full door panels, upper dash panels, and the center dash trim. I’m confident that they would have no issues making their money back from designing and manufacturing molds.

I’m also surprised I haven't seen much mention here about grouping together to source manufacturing.
I am a little surprised too. Considering you can easily get your hands on a very nicely made reproduction of the CJ dash pad. With the infamous "crash pad"(it is "crash" pad isn't it?) in ours, I've thought so many times how simple it would be to make and produce. With CNC laser cutters, CNC water jets, and 3D printers becoming fairly common, it seems this would have already been done. A replacement part could be fabricated from whatever material you'd like. If I had my choice, and/or those tools, I would make a replacement from either aluminum, acrylic or delrin, heck maybe even carbon fiber. My budget can't go too far. I do have access to the tools to get either one done, but that grill part will be a meticulous nightmare.
Same here. I've enjoyed watching "Car Cleaning Guru" on Youtube. The level of detailing he goes to is impressive. If you haven't seen any of his videos, watch the one where he details a Nissan Skyline GTR.

I like the Autogeek site that is owned by Palm Beach Motoring Group. These guys own a lot of brands.

PBMA's family of websites includes Autogeek.net, Pinnaclewax.com, Diamondite.com, Wolfgangcarcare.com, Bikedepot.net, PBMA's Amazon.com store, AutogeekOnline.net, and now Autopia-carcare.com and Detailcity.org.