Is there a trick to getting the plastic channel that runs next to the valve cover off?

1Salty Dawg

TJ Enthusiast
Supporting Member
Is there a trick to getting the plastic channel that runs next to the valve cover off. I feel like if I force it any more it will break.

If I’m reading your question correctly, and I may be guessing, but I believe you are describing the wire channel that attaches to the valve cover bolt/stud combo. It is pushed onto the stud portion. It just needs to be pulled straight up without hesitation. An angled lever might help push from the bottom but there isn’t much room. Best to just put down the latte show it who’s boss.

Is there a trick to getting the plastic channel that runs next to the valve cover off. I feel like if I force it any more it will break.
The plastic channel you are talking about is where the wiring harness runs thru for the fuel injectors and sensors.
Generally I pull up and wiggle in a circular pattern as I pull upward.

I messed with for a long time when I changed my VCG. Wiggled, waggled, yanked and cranked. Just when it seemed like it was going to come free, pop it broke. Now secured with some zip ties.

I messed with for a long time when I changed my VCG. Wiggled, waggled, yanked and cranked. Just when it seemed like it was going to come free, pop it broke. Now secured with some zip ties.

I just broke mine doing the VCG as well. There was no way it was budging and the 23 year old plastic just popped in half. Oh well.