Is there an easy way to line up the wheel studs with the wheels?

Shropshirewrangler

TJ Enthusiast
To most of you this will seem a dumb question, however some of the more mature members of the forum will understand.

Just taken the TJ off the road for the winter.

Removed the wheels to thoroughly clean the chassis.

I'm well past the first flush of youth - in fact knackered and repaired and drawing a pension.

Took 10 mins to replace one wheel (the rest took longer), could not line the studs up with the holes in the wheel.

FFS there must be an easy way to do this.

Then it occurred to me that even if I was as fit as I was at, say 40, I'd still have struggled with some of the wheel/tyre combinations I've seen on other members Jeeps.

Is there an easy way to line up the wheel studs with the wheels? Other than muscle power that I no longer seem to have.

Reactions: Jerry Bransford
I set mine with a stud at 12 o'clock. Then get the tire set that way. Sit on the floor, with your legs spread around the tire... Get in close, use your thighs to help lift the tire. Mine weigh 100 lbs each... Any little bit helps.

This is what I do as well.

Reactions: Irun
I think everyone got it right except maybe the 12 o'clock position.

As much of a PIA putting the spare back on the rack is, I noticed that having those two studs at the top gave me a better chance of getting at least one of them in a hole far enough to hang on, then it just takes a little swinging action to line up both of the other studs. It seems to do just as well lining up the other 4 studs on the hub as long as it's in 4wd to keep those hubs from spinning.

One of my biggest aggravations is the five recessed areas in my wheels that are between the holes. Thanks Chrysler.

Reactions: Shropshirewrangler
To most of you this will seem a dumb question, however some of the more mature members of the forum will understand.

Just taken the TJ off the road for the winter.

Removed the wheels to thoroughly clean the chassis.

I'm well past the first flush of youth - in fact knackered and repaired and drawing a pension.

Took 10 mins to replace one wheel (the rest took longer), could not line the studs up with the holes in the wheel.

FFS there must be an easy way to do this.

Then it occurred to me that even if I was as fit as I was at, say 40, I'd still have struggled with some of the wheel/tyre combinations I've seen on other members Jeeps.

Is there an easy way to line up the wheel studs with the wheels? Other than muscle power that I no longer seem to have.
Doesn't matter how knackered you are. We have the same issue trying to put a 40" tire on with a heavy beadlock. I'm sure there's lots of folk that can lift them, we aren't those folks. The easy way is to roll the wheel up and lean it against the studs to gauge height, then raise or lower that side with the floor jack until they line up, push the wheel on.

I set mine with a stud at 12 o'clock. Then get the tire set that way. Sit on the floor, with your legs spread around the tire... Get in close, use your thighs to help lift the tire. Mine weigh 100 lbs each... Any little bit helps.
I won't let anyone around me do it that way. I do not want anyone under the rig or have lots of soft squishy bits under it or in a position to be unable to jump quickly out of the way if something stupid happens.

One of these wouldn't be the end of the world to put a tire back on.
1636555343556.png

Sounds like I'm not as High Level as the OP, but this is how I do it.

It sure isn't as easy as it was when I was younger. I try to keep the hub at as close to the exact height required so I'm not lifting anything.
This is exactly how I have been doing it for quite awhile…

My back/body aches just thinking about how I used to throw tires around when I was younger…

The easy way is to roll the wheel up and lean it against the studs to gauge height, then raise or lower that side with the floor jack until they line up, push the wheel on.
This right here is exactly how I do them. ..

One of these wouldn't be the end of the world to put a tire back on.
View attachment 289611
That would come in handy when I have all 4 corners on stands and can’t easily use the floor jack for an assist mounting the wheel/tire…

Reactions: Zorba
I use my toes so I'm not waist deep underneath it.