Is this broken Smittybilt winch fixable?

kiwi

TJ Enthusiast
Supporting Member
Broke my Smittybilt XRC 9500 winch, is there any way this is fixable? It’s only one of the 4 mounts that broke. Thanks.
5EB58C91-81A3-4A33-831F-CFC2EB99423D.jpeg
357EE9B8-82A1-4BD4-8704-CE9C062F00DA.jpeg
5270C39E-84D3-416F-9E4B-391F391551B3.jpeg

If smittybilt can’t help, and it’s an aluminum alloy, a good weldor could weld it up. Provided it can be dissembled to the point where it has no seals or plastic parts left in the casting. If anything is left in the case, it could be damaged by the extreme heat of the welding process.

Reactions: kiwi and Zorba
Said it wasn’t covered in warranty
That sucks but knowing Smittybilt it's not surprising. Sorry they wouldn't cover it, that's not a common breakage. Was there something you're aware of that caused it to break? How old is it?

Before you bolt another winch back on the mounting plate you need to diagnose why that failed. Did you have a bolt come loose or is the mounting plate distorted in some way? Were you pulling off angle for an extended period and the wire rope balled up on the drum flange and pushed the winch away from the mount? From what I can see in that pic the drum support did not have a fracture so it was not a bad casting.

Reactions: Gollywomper
Imagine a winch flying through the air, Off the front of your rig, smashing someone square in the face(probably your wheelin buddy), Good chance they would be seriously injured(if they are the tuffest mofo ever to life........) SHITTYBUILT

Can't you find the part and replace it?

Ebay

This site contains affiliate links for which Jeep Wrangler TJ Forum may be compensated.
Interesting. I've had mine since 2014 and its pulled me out of thick texas mud and winched a disabled cj5 through some gnarly rocks in the sierras, along with little here and there use through out the years. No issues yet.