Is this normal Antirock behavior?

DustinfromOhio

TJ Enthusiast
Good morning all, minor issue I’m trying to work out.

2002 TJ- previous owner installed the Zone 3” suspension lift which has sagged to about 2” of lift. I have since added the Currie currectlync, antirock, and Rancho 5000Xs.

Jeep drives down the freeway great, 80 mph with 1 finger, no vibrations. However, with the antirock set to the middle setting I get this gentle side to side rocking like I am on a boat. When I move the AR to the firmest setting it is significantly reduced but not completely gone.

Is this just a bi product of the antirock and I need to accept it or are my worn out springs not firm enough to maintain a level ride height?

Reactions: roverhi
My Antirock is set to its least stiff setting and my TJ does not do that. I'd suspect the shocks too but I would not go with anything as stiff as the Bilstein 5100. You'd probably like the Rancho RS5000x.

My Antirock is set to its least stiff setting and my TJ does not do that. I'd suspect the shocks too but I would not go with anything as stiff as the Bilstein 5100. You'd probably like the Rancho RS5000x.

Jerry, you have not tried your antirock with a different setting to know the differences. Shocks play a role, sure .. but swaybar also plays a role and the OP has shared that already. Rancho 5000x is not the answer to everything. and even if that were the case, the OP already has those.

Jerry, you have not tried your antirock with a different setting to know the differences. Shocks play a role, sure .. but swaybar also plays a role and the OP has shared that already. Rancho 5000x is not the answer to everything. and even if that were the case, the OP already has those.
It doesn't effing matter since neither of my TJs rocked side to side, despite having run 6-7 different shocks on my TJs over the past 25 years and Antirocks for 20+ years. If it ever did rock side to side, which never happened, I would have found the issue and fixed it poste haste.

It doesn't effing matter since neither of my TJs rocked side to side, despite having run 6-7 different shocks on my TJs over the past 25 years and Antirocks for 20+ years. If it ever did rock side to side, which never happened, I would have found the issue and fixed it poste haste.

I thought similar before the SwayLoc and before good shocks.

OK then, I will wait for your recommendation on what to check next if it is not the swaybar or the shocks, since the OP has both antirock and Rancho 5000x :)

OK then, I will wait for your recommendation on what to check next if it is not the swaybar or the shocks, since the OP has both antirock and Rancho 5000x :)
Whatever is causing it isn't caused by either so long as the shocks are still good. If they were the source of the problem it would have happened to me in at least one of my two TJs.

Whatever is causing it isn't caused by either so long as the shocks are still good. If they were the source of the problem it would have happened to me in at least one of my two TJs.

You should tighten up the Antirock so you can tell us from experience that it doesn't matter. That way you can also tell us that we are imagining what the SwayLoc does.

OP is talking about body sway. What else is there that could be causing it? He has specifically reported that tighter antirock makes it less pronounced. Is that to be ignored?

Good morning all, minor issue I’m trying to work out.

2002 TJ- previous owner installed the Zone 3” suspension lift which has sagged to about 2” of lift. I have since added the Currie currectlync, antirock, and Rancho 5000Xs.

Jeep drives down the freeway great, 80 mph with 1 finger, no vibrations. However, with the antirock set to the middle setting I get this gentle side to side rocking like I am on a boat. When I move the AR to the firmest setting it is significantly reduced but not completely gone.

Is this just a bi product of the antirock and I need to accept it or are my worn out springs not firm enough to maintain a level ride height?

I am going to deviate a tad bit here and attempt to get to the root cause of your issue.
1- you don't have a shock problem.
2- you don't have a spring problem.
3- you don't have a swaybar problem, front and most likely the rear.

So, since none of those produce the gentle side to side boat feeling, something else does. That is typically the driver, the terrain, or some combination thereof if we can fully rule out that your steering is tight and we aren't fighting play in the system. So, what you need to do for us is go take it for a test drive on a nice road at speed and check a couple of things. Can you hold the steering wheel steady on a straight road without a lot of minor corrections to keep it going straight?

When you drive, are you watching the road right in front of the rig and making minor corrections to the steering wheel based on road surface imperfections? Don't guess, hold the wheel very steady and look out several Jeep lengths in front of you and ignore road surface conditions. Does that change the the rocking motion when you do it that way?

Go take a drive and report back. I strongly suspect we have a driver problem and not an equipment problem.

Last edited: