Is this re-gearing cost too high?

Nordic

TJ Enthusiast
Hello all,
Got a quote from Predator offroad to regear my rear axle (not changing ratio, had chipped pinion teeth) and the quote they give me was $1080 for parts and labor, with a military discount.. Again, this is for just one axle. Now, after reading a bit into this online the cost does seem very high. Does anyone know of any reputable shops in the Colorado Springs area, and know what it generally costs in this area for a regear? Also, how negotiable are these prices, could I expect them to come down in price if I get a competing offer?

Thanks in advance!

Well, don't bargain shop and get someone unqualified .

Also , while it's down , consider front unit bearings and axle u joints.

If you’re replacing it with a factory gear ratio I’d try to find an entire axle. You’d probably spend less than half of that depending on which axle it is.

Reactions: EzPeezy
Way high. I’m in the springs as well. I mean a quality set of gears and install kit will be roughly 300-400 in parts. I would check with crazy Ed’s, Patriot, Femi, 4 wheel parts, or even up in monument at Bach Crawlers the shop between monument and Palmer lake or Altitude Offroad in Castle Rock

Reactions: Nordic
I usually just do my own Gear set. There is a guy in town that will do it for like $175 plus parts if you remove the axle and take it to him.

Way high. I’m in the springs as well. I mean a quality set of gears and install kit will be roughly 300-400 in parts. I would check with crazy Ed’s, Patriot, Femi, 4 wheel parts, or even up in monument at Bach Crawlers the shop between monument and Palmer lake or Altitude Offroad in Castle Rock

OK I'll definitely have to look around more then.

Reactions: L J
I usually just do my own Gear set. There is a guy in town that will do it for like $175 plus parts if you remove the axle and take it to him.

Well jeez for $175 I feel like that could make pulling the axle worth it, even though it's my DD. Hell I could Uber around the springs for a couple days and it'd probably still be cheaper than going to a shop. Know where I can find this guy?

Reactions: EzPeezy
Labor in my area is $600 per axle.
Don't rely on others prices, every area is different. Visit 3 or 4 more shops and that should tell you average for where you at.
Strike a conversation with owner and guy who will be working on it, see what kind of vibes you will get from him. You Americans are so isolated and have completely forgotten art of communication. Say something like "I do all the work on my Jeep, its my baby, but gears is something i have no experience with ... lalala", see what they say, if they ask why you want it done, how they respond, read their body language.
If you show up there with macho attitude and tell em "chipped pinion gear, give me price" they will smile and give you price alright lol.

If you find another place that does it for $150 less, look at the guy, look at the place and ask yourself - is it worth it?
This days, $150 is not gonna get you far.

Id stick to the gear dedicated shop if possible. Some of the more popular, general needs shops have perfected the art of "Ehh, looks good enough to me" too well.

Best of luck to you!

Last edited:
Reactions: Rescue6 and Nordic
Market size may account for some of the difference in cost but in SoCal the going rate is ~$1250 (drive in) for both ends. I'd definitely look elsewhere.

Well jeez for $175 I feel like that could make pulling the axle worth it ...

removal, hauling it back and forth, installation = I'd pay the $175

Well jeez for $175 I feel like that could make pulling the axle worth it, even though it's my DD. Hell I could Uber around the springs for a couple days and it'd probably still be cheaper than going to a shop. Know where I can find this guy?
I will contact the gentleman and see if he is currently taking any side work. If he is I’ll message you his info.

I'm new to the site. I tried to figure out how to send you a private message and had no luck. Anyway, Please let me know if your friend is open to the work. I really appreciate the help. Thanks again!

Send me a message so I remember to check with him Monday

I'm new to the site. I tried to figure out how to send you a private message and had no luck. Anyway, Please let me know if your friend is open to the work. I really appreciate the help. Thanks again!