Is this rust something I can manage?

Treyking

64D268FC-6F79-44DE-95A4-15BC71BE32A4.jpeg

CB8F7B70-DDDC-42D3-9F98-6071A0C69740.jpeg

4CCE0814-A213-476E-A362-D2E1133003B2.jpeg

Man partner, If you haven’t bought I’d manage it this way- I’d manage to pass on it.

That one appears to be in bad shape from what i can see.

You can find a better one.

why do so many things looks so wrong?

It’s a jk that’s why.

It doesn’t look horrible but the gas tank skid would need to be replaced at the very least. Mopar would be the best bet for a replacement. Most aftermarket ones that seem affordable are designed to overlay on top of the factory skid. Also get the gas as low as possible before dropping the tank.

That is not a Georgia jeep is it? looks like a north eastern one. Looks very crusty and this coming from someone in NY
Negative the car facts state the car has been in Massachusetts since 2009 and it just recently got to Georgia last month I was taking a look at it and have not purchased yet

It’s a jk that’s why.

It doesn’t look horrible but the gas tank skid would need to be replaced at the very least. Mopar would be the best bet for a replacement. Most aftermarket ones that seem affordable are designed to overlay on top of the factory skid. Also get the gas as low as possible before dropping
Is this something manageable if the rust is treated and item replaced such as axles and drive train as well as the skid plate

Man partner, If you haven’t bought I’d manage it this way- I’d manage to pass on it.

That one appears to be in bad shape from what i can see.

You can find a better one.
What do you see that seems like a no go so I can have the information for the next one that I look at?

Is this something manageable if the rust is treated and item replaced such as axles and drive train as well as the skid plate
Rust isn’t manageable. Once is starts, it doesn’t stop. It doesn’t make sense to spend all the time and money to replace axels and drive train when you’ll be better off finding a Jeep that spent its life in the south away from street salt. I’d pass on that Jeep in the pictures and never look back. Good luck to you!

Reactions: John Cooper
The rust has totally eaten through the skid plate, there is nothing left to protect. If at all possible stay away from any vehicle (not just Jeeps) that have spent time anywhere it snows and the nitwits use salt on the roads....... If you find a TJ to buy let these guys on the forum look at the frame, that is the biggest issue for them....almost everything else is replaceable.

Semper Fi!!!

Massachusetts is in the north east last time I checked.
12 years of these winters it's a hard pass for me.
I bought mine in Texas, I wouldn't even entertain looking at anything from around the north east.
Run from it, like others said there's better out there.

Rust isn’t manageable. Once is starts, it doesn’t stop. It doesn’t make sense to spend all the time and money to replace axels and drive train when you’ll be better off finding a Jeep that spent its life in the south away from street salt. I’d pass on that Jeep in the pictures and never look back. Good luck to you!

Any rust that can be accessed it can be managed and stopped. What can't be stopped (until cutting and welding) is rust inside the frame because it literally can't be reached.

As for Texas or Cali jeeps good luck if you can even find the one you want in this screwed up market. It was already out of control before covid now its basically dead

no way i'd buy that. that much rust on the pan means the frame is probably ate up. there's alot of tj's out there and the prices here in GA look to be coming down a little. i picked up my 97 sahara back in DEC. for $7300 no rust 168k miles and 2 tops and it was in real good shape with service records all the way back to 1999. pass on that rust bucket or you will be cussing every time you put a wrench on it !

Negative the car facts state the car has been in Massachusetts since 2009 and it just recently got to Georgia last month I was taking a look at it and have not purchased yet
If you haven’t bought it I would look for something better. JKs don’t have the rust problems that TJs do, but then tank skids can rust like the photo and there are a number of bolts holding it in that could be seized. Using heat is risky so it’s a real pain in the ass job.

keep shopping.

What do you see that seems like a no go so I can have the information for the next one that I look at?
Rust. There are too many out there that have no rust to spend your money On one that does and it can be so costly once you get into it-

We had one guy that before it was all over he had to replace the frame after spending thousands.

Jeeps are a lot of fun But they aren’t so much fun that they are worth fighting one that would have deep rust.

I may be wrong but most of the time if you see anything at the first it’s going to be a lot worse when you get into it.

Last edited:
  • Love