Is this why we don’t let the XJ guys in here?

I just don’t get it. Why destroy what could be a cool trail rig. Two door Cherokees are getting hard to find.

I agree. That's what my 2 dr. looked like before I rescued it from some wild man and rebuilt it. 🤣

I think @Squatch and @JMT did the same thing with their white 2 drs. :unsure:

21-01-08 1.JPG

I know guys that buy these for hundreds of dollars and they'll tear the fenders off and go to the local tire shop and get worn out mt or at tires as big as will run for $40 a pop and re move the exhaust and run open pipes with a spark arrester and then go beat the hell out of them on the trails.

I agree. That's what my 2 dr. looked like before I rescued it from some wild man and rebuilt it. 🤣

I think @Squatch and @JMT did the same thing with their white 2 drs. :unsure:

View attachment 254068
Ours ended up with some small dents in the driver's door and front fender when it got stolen. It's not as clean as yours, but it's really in pretty decent shape, overall. I would never even consider trimming the fenders for a larger tire installation.

This just confirms that if they'll last that long while beating on them, they'll last a long time when care is taken.

Reactions: Squatch
Ours ended up with some small dents in the driver's door and front fender when it got stolen. It's not as clean as yours, but it's really in pretty decent shape, overall. I would never even consider trimming the fenders for a larger tire installation.

You got real lucky with that. I can't imagine what you were going through up until when you got it back.

Mines pretty clean but I've been having some "fun" with it lately. It was undercoated when new and then again by Ziebart after only a few years. The first 2 owners and then me had it rustproof sprayed regularly. It was an absolute oily, greasy, mess underneath. It was NO FUN to work on. You have to be carful though ... what preserved it could actually destroy it.

I've never been a fan of Ziebart. It hardens up and water, road salt, etc. can get in behind it and cause rust problems. I peeled off some areas that are known for rust problems and sure enough I had some. I had one rust hole the size of my small finger nail so no complaints. That's unheard of around here. There was small areas of surface rust and nothing that a coat of POR15 couldn't take care of. I've been on my back for the last week stripping undercoating and repainting areas. I now have a very good idea of where I need to spray it prior to next winter.

Reactions: Squatch
I think the shitbox might be behind the wheel.

Using that term for the driver would be putting down even the shitbox-est XJs out there, including that one.

A more appropriate term would be shithead, e.g., WTF is that shithead doing to that shitbox !?!

On an almost unrelated topic, I have experienced many times where my electronic devices have heard what's going on then displayed ads and other stuff related to that. Some time in March my phone went as far as contacting my gas water heater to let it know in needed to start leaking after my neighbor and I talked about her water heater being replaced a few months earlier. Why would I mention this? Because just a couple weeks ago while sitting at a light, I saw the first decent unmolested XJ that I've seen in quite a while. As it made a left turn in front of me, while my light was red, I was shocked to see that it was white 1996 or older two door XJ. I think my phone being mounted on the dashboard and being used as GPS saw that XJ, knew I was impressed with it and sent the message out which ended up causing at least that FB post leading to this thread, and probably many unknown other new electronic stuff regarding XJs.

If only my phone would have told me about this thread 3 days ago, everyone would have been able to read this post 3 days ago. :unsure:

Last edited:
There are basically two kinds of XJs and XJ owners:

1. The clean rigs that were surprisingly expensive to buy because their prices are getting out of control. These are usually tastefully modded and very well built.

2. The rusted out POS rigs that have the fenders chopped, 4 different color doors, etc. These are usually owned by redneck meth heads who looked at them as a cheaper alternative to a lifted truck.

With the current age of XJs there aren't many of them that fall in between.

This is my daughters 2-door sport with a 3” Zone lift and Rancho 5000X shocks. Don’t use them in the rear. You need something stiffer. I’ll be experimenting. Still needs 31’s

View attachment 254741

View attachment 254742

View attachment 254743

I just put a pair Monroe Load Levellers in the rear of mine. I should have a chance to tow my tear drop with it in 3 weeks and I'm hoping for an improvement over the "what evers" I took out. I don't know if you tow your tear drop with your XJ but I'll let you know how they work out.

Reactions: JMT
I just put a pair Monroe Load Levellers in the rear of mine. I should have a chance to tow my tear drop with it in 3 weeks and I'm hoping for an improvement over the "what evers" I took out. I don't know if you tow your tear drop with your XJ but I'll let you know how they work out.
I haven’t yet, but the results will be interesting! Those load leveling shocks look sort of like coil overs. Kinda cool 😎!

Reactions: PCO6
Here's what I went with, although I got a better price from Rock Auto. Despite some of the comments they fit perfectly and were dead simple to install.

https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B000C57LX2/?tag=tjforum-20
When I got the XJ it had air shocks in the rear. There was a small nipple you could attach your bike bump to air them up when pulling a trailer. I never used them, but that was the setup. The Monroe setup looks better, and definitely a cleaner install

Reactions: PCO6
When I got the XJ it had air shocks in the rear. There was a small nipple you could attach your bike bump to air them up when pulling a trailer. I never used them, but that was the setup. The Monroe setup looks better, and definitely a cleaner install

I installed air shocks in my '62 Impala back in the mid-70's and they worked well. It looked "normal" most of the time but when I wanted to jack it up to look like a hot rodder (common back then) I could. Thankfully I got over that stage in my life. :ROFLMAO:

• USA Proud
The key benefit with air shocks is their adjustability. If you're always carrying a heavy load then helper spring-over-shocks are more reliable and look better too, but for an occasional heavy load the tunability of air is awesome.

I had an s10 with a built 350 in high school that I paid for by working at mcdonalds. It had an open rear end and I couldn't afford to upgrade to posi, so I got air shocks with independent control and set higher preload on the right side until it would spin both tires equally at launch. Worked quite well actually.