It sure adds up

You've got some big brass balls to do that..im afraid my wife will find her way onto this forum 🤣
82EDD04C-8980-4E62-81B1-699B0FF1FADC.gif

My wife is aware of every penny of the 45k+ I've spent on the Jeep to date (including purchase), and has supported every purchase!

Hell, she's the one who suggested buying a 1 ton truck, slide in camper, and trailer so we could haul the thing around!

This wife's a keeper... I figure they are like cars, keep trading up till you get the right one... third times the charm!
Hah!! I heard trading wives up gets expensive because you have to pay someone to take them.

I'm in same boat cost wise, bought the jeep then loved wheeling it so much sunk outrageous money building them bought a truck and a trailer to pull it all within 3 years of entering the hobby. It's really expensive to get into and to get built up. I bet trading up wheelers can be costly too because you'll never get your money out of it. I think when I make the jump to dedicated wheeler better to start with something that doesn't have a title and already built leave the LJ as a road trail hybrid.

Reactions: Apparition and JMT
I stopped keeping a total tally... Now I keep track of projects. I think 20k for a TJ is a ridiculous amount to spend on purchase price. I'm sure I've spent that much and more on my rig.

Yeah I think it's almost always cheaper to buy one built about how you want it, unless you have good fab skills and access to cheap/free material and don't count your time for anything. I know I've never gotten my money back on car mods. At least that's how I justified buying my TJ :ROFLMAO:

I stopped keeping a total tally... Now I keep track of projects. I think 20k for a TJ is a ridiculous amount to spend on purchase price. I'm sure I've spent that much and more on my rig.
Dammit! That's exactly what I spent on mine. Always thought I'd gotten a good deal....

Hah!! I heard trading wives up gets expensive because you have to pay someone to take them.

I'm in same boat cost wise, bought the jeep then loved wheeling it so much sunk outrageous money building them bought a truck and a trailer to pull it all within 3 years of entering the hobby. It's really expensive to get into and to get built up. I bet trading up wheelers can be costly too because you'll never get your money out of it. I think when I make the jump to dedicated wheeler better to start with something that doesn't have a title and already built leave the LJ as a road trail hybrid.
I had to pay to get rid of them, but not sure if anyone took them....

I keep having things to do to mine, yeah I could buy one 'built up' but then I wouldn't learn anything. One of these days I need to get with you and talk outboarding / costs, and roll cage lol, and....

I have actually thought about just leaving the LJ as it is, or nearly as it is and building a buggy of sorts... maybe juggy with a cj tub :D Almost bought one that was 75% done recently in fact.

Reactions: JMT
I have actually thought about just leaving the LJ as it is, or nearly as it is and building a buggy of sorts... maybe juggy with a cj tub :D Almost bought one that was 75% done recently in fact.
Ya exactly, what i was thinking lol. Theres no reason to beat up a perfectly nice driving LJ! My buddy just picked up a stretched CJ with LS and old school 44's on coilovers for $10k.

Three times I've started tracking money spent on a build. Three times I've failed to complete. What I can say, in totality, is that I've received far more value than expended. Knowledge, fun, and friendships to name a few. I honestly no longer want to know what I spend, because you can't put price on those kinds of things. I've got a friend who hoards money, but isn't happy. I'm not going to be reckless, but that will never be me. We get one shot at life!

Last edited:
Ya exactly, what i was thinking lol. Theres no reason to beat up a perfectly nice driving LJ! My buddy just picked up a stretched CJ with LS and old school 44's on coilovers for $10k.
I've been thinking this more and more. Buy a dedicated trail rig and beat the crap out of it. For every day, drive a slightly modified LJ and enjoy it!

Thats the first mistake, I never think about what ive spent on the toys because once you do they are no longer a toy they become an asset. Lucky enough my wife knows what I spend on things and doesnt mind at all. Before we got our TJ I really wanted a polaris rzr but she said we cant drive that on the streets so just get a jeep instead to play with.

Reactions: Irun