It sure adds up

to be clear, those numbers include purchasing the rig. It's not that amount on top. So it's not that much above what we tell people it takes to run 35s.
Here's a minimal formula for running 35's that is just over $5k. If you could get in a rig for $8k the total would be just over $13k.

35’s
4” Springs ($350)
4” Shocks ($250)
1” Body Lift ($175)
1” Motor Mount Lift ($50)
Adjustable front TB ($225)
Adjustable rear TB ($200)
Extended front brake lines ($30)
Extended rear sway bar links ($40)
Front sway bar disconnects ($80)
Bumpstops front and rear ($20)
Transfer Case shifter cable ($170)
Adjustable control arms ($1000)
SYE ($350)
DC ($350)
BMB Pads ($300)
35x 12.5r15 ($900)
15x8” wheels ($450)
Dana 30 4340 shafts ($550)
Dana 35 1541H shafts ($300)

$5015 + install or diy

no re-gear, 27 spline rear shafts, minimal brakes, would have to be careful off-road and upgrade if something breaks adding to the cost.

Reactions: freedom_in_4low
13000 into a rig that would drive and handle like garbage.

27 spline rear axles? Are you suggesting starting with a Dana 35? Also no lockers. That's a mall crawler build.

27 spline rear axles? Are you suggesting starting with a Dana 35? Also no lockers. That's a mall crawler build.
Exactly, but it could be done. Most folks start off with a Dana 35, so yes. This is for folks that come on here just wanting to know what it takes to run 35’s. It wouldn’t ride like crap IMHO. It just wouldn’t be a strong build. I wouldn’t wheel it except on very light trails.

I'm not sure it would handle like garbage, the price points of those arms and bars probably have clevite bushings so at worst they wear out quickly if wheeled.

An $8k rig could be a 32RH with 30" tire package giving it 3.73 axles and no OD, which would be a lot better starting point than any other trans/gear combo. I do think you'd need at least one locker, to allow for super 35ing the rear.

You could arguably cut some more if you re used the stock 15x8 wheels with adapters.

Reactions: JMT
Exactly, but it could be done. Most folks start off with a Dana 35, so yes. This is for folks that come on here just wanting to know what it takes to run 35’s. It wouldn’t ride like crap IMHO. It just wouldn’t be a strong build. I wouldn’t wheel it except on very light trails.
I'm not sure it would handle like garbage, the price points of those arms and bars probably have clevite bushings so at worst they wear out quickly if wheeled.

An $8k rig could be a 32RH with 30" tire package giving it 3.73 axles and no OD, which would be a lot better starting point than any other trans/gear combo. I do think you'd need at least one locker, to allow for super 35ing the rear.

You could arguably cut some more if you re used the stock 15x8 wheels with adapters.

Full adjustable arms without some sort of flex joint (ie clevite on both ends) will overly stress the mounting brackets and fight motion of the axle. The gearing would be terrible, even at 3.73 with the three speed auto. So, maybe it wouldn't handle like garbage...and sure, 250 on shocks can get you some black max's which aren't terrible. It would not be a fun to drive rig though. It would be slow to accelerate, no power up hills, no passing power, etc. Its going to go around corners fine, because I'm assuming your doing QD sway links? So, it would still have decent sway bars. It also wouldn't be that good offroad. Very light trail duty...two tracks. With the tires and gearing, plus the 2.72 ratio...its not going to "crawl." Its gonna go too fast, no matter what and that will be a rough ride, because inexpensive shocks will fade or not ride great to begin with.

So, yes, technically you could do it. And, I'll concede, it probably won't be a complete dumpster fire. However, I think If I built a rig like that and wheeled it, I would very quickly realize it not much fun and either have to start over, mostly, or get out of the hobby all together.

It would be much better to use that same money and put together a really good build on 32's with the eventual goal of 35's

Reactions: rasband
Full adjustable arms without some sort of flex joint (ie clevite on both ends) will overly stress the mounting brackets and fight motion of the axle. The gearing would be terrible, even at 3.73 with the three speed auto. So, maybe it wouldn't handle like garbage...and sure, 250 on shocks can get you some black max's which aren't terrible. It would not be a fun to drive rig though. It would be slow to accelerate, no power up hills, no passing power, etc. Its going to go around corners fine, because I'm assuming your doing QD sway links? So, it would still have decent sway bars. It also wouldn't be that good offroad. Very light trail duty...two tracks. With the tires and gearing, plus the 2.72 ratio...its not going to "crawl." Its gonna go too fast, no matter what and that will be a rough ride, because inexpensive shocks will fade or not ride great to begin with.

So, yes, technically you could do it. And, I'll concede, it probably won't be a complete dumpster fire. However, I think If I built a rig like that and wheeled it, I would very quickly realize it not much fun and either have to start over, mostly, or get out of the hobby all together.

It would be much better to use that same money and put together a really good build on 32's with the eventual goal of 35's
I agree 100% with your analysis of what it would be like, and yes, equipped with QD so it has sway bar stability. I only put it together for the 2x/month someone enters the forum saying, “What would it take to run 35’s? I’m not planning to rock crawl, just mostly for looks.” 🤣

Here's a minimal formula for running 35's that is just over $5k. If you could get in a rig for $8k the total would be just over $13k.

35’s
4” Springs ($350)
4” Shocks ($250)
1” Body Lift ($175)
1” Motor Mount Lift ($50)
Adjustable front TB ($225)
Adjustable rear TB ($200)
Extended front brake lines ($30)
Extended rear sway bar links ($40)
Front sway bar disconnects ($80)
Bumpstops front and rear ($20)
Transfer Case shifter cable ($170)
Adjustable control arms ($1000)
SYE ($350)
DC ($350)
BMB Pads ($300)
35x 12.5r15 ($900)
15x8” wheels ($450)
Dana 30 4340 shafts ($550)
Dana 35 1541H shafts ($300)

$5015 + install or diy

no re-gear, 27 spline rear shafts, minimal brakes, would have to be careful off-road and upgrade if something breaks adding to the cost.
Stop bringing up numbers. Certain people are watching...just saying! ;)

I broke down and updated my spreadsheet... I've passed how much I paid for the jeep in upgrades now with a few more big upgrades planned...
I'm still good. The only number I will share is the $4K I paid for the TJ. ;)

Reactions: DrDmoney and JMT
I got my LJ for free ;)
Dully noted.......

mad-tom-and-jerry.gif