I've hit a rut!

wanted a convertible for years, was poking around on & off trying to find a late 60's muscle car type rag top, or early 80's Rabbit. Could never quite find anything that worked. Then one day a Wrangler that was mislabeled for my search criteria snuck into the herd & it hit me like a brick, the perfect combination of toy, fun, no top... the rest as they say is history

Back in high school my stepdad and I bought a 1969 Jeepster Commando to rebuild together. Unfortunately when I was newly married and fairly poor (starting my career) we had some economic setbacks and had to sell it. I’ve always regretted that, until I got my LJ.

After I got my career off the ground i wanted to get back into my mechanically inclined ways and was wanting something modern-ish I could work on. I looked at some old shovel head motorcycles but somehow stumbled on an LJR (not knowing much about it at the time). Sold my other car as I just had so much enjoyment with the LJ and the rest is history. This has really turned into what I pictured that commando becoming eventually.

Cool cars I've owned:
  • Challenger Hellcat
  • C6 Z06 Ligenfelter Built Corvette
  • Mitsubishi Evo
  • BMW E39 M5
  • BMW E46 M3
  • Camaro ZL1
  • JK Rubicon Hard Rock (2 door)
Cool motorcycles I've owned:
  • Ducati 916
  • Ducati 998S
  • Ducati 999R
  • Ducati 1098R
  • Aprilia RSV Mille R
  • Aprilia RSV4 Factory
  • MV Agusta F41000
  • Yamaha R1
  • Kawasaki Ninja ZX-10R
  • Indian Scout
  • Numerous Harleys
That's not a conclusive list, but it's some of the more cool vehicles I've owned.

Of all those vehicles, the TJ remains my favorite, so I think that says something.

Speed is fun for a brief amount of time. Being able to go wherever you want without the top and doors, it can't be beat. Don't believe me? Head out west and find out for yourself ;)

Had a girlfriend that drove a TJ, really liked the setup. Went out and bought one, still have the jeep, girlfriend's long gone.
200.gif

Reactions: Jack72
Always wanted one and bought a new 2012 JKU, was fun, but not really big enough to take family on trips. In 2017 my wife wanted out of our explorer, she wanted something smaller. The JKU was paid off so I traded it in on her AWD Benz and took over the explorer. six months later I really regretted getting rid of the JKU but was not spending another 30K for my own second car (OK, 4th car for me). I stumbled on this sight and said for $10K I can an even more fun Wrangler than a JKU and bought my 05.

Always wanted one. My uncle had an old CJ that he let my dad and I borrow once, had a blast with it in the mountains. Fast forward to when I moved to CO, I had a big crew cab diesel pickup that just couldnt get around anywhere in the city, plus diesel had hit an all time high at $5/gal. Sold it, and with the profit bought my 97 Sport 4.0 in 2014 (maybe 15?). Been playing with it ever since. It is thiiiisss close to being retired as my DD.

Bought a '89 YJ when I was 18. Instantly discovered it was my favorite thing in the world, but it was a 2.5l and kinda sketchy from the PO mods, as well as breaking way too often. Bought my TJ a year later in 2009.

Still my favorite thing in the world.

I grew up around Jeeps. My dad had an XJ and a few Grand Cherokees when I was a kid. My grandpa had a Willy's pickup when I was little. One of my gym teachers when I was in grade school had a then new 1994ish YJ Rio Grande. I always thought that was the coolest thing with no doors or top and a manual transmission. Wranglers were always about twice the price of an XJ or ZJ on the used market when I started driving, so I got into XJs. Owned 3 of them, then drove a few TJs. All it took was a ride with no top or doors in a friend's TJ and I was hooked.

As a typical rural kid I grew up fascinated by big trucks and four wheel drive vehicles in general. Then in the mid 90’s while stationed at Ft Campbell, I met a guy with a lifted YJ. He grew up into Jeep’s and was mechanically inclined. After spending time with him and riding in his YJ, I was hooked. Unfortunately it took over a decade to finally be in a financial place where I could afford one. Frankly I ended up with a TJ by sheer luck. I was still very oblivious to the specific differences between chassis and sub models and had to learn the hard way. But, as I learned, I grew to be grateful that I ended up with a TJ and even with all her faults when I purchased her (2.5L with 35” tires, Dana 35 rear end and 6” lift) I’ve slowly been making corrections and still love driving her every chance I get.

Reactions: Vasq
Had several IH ( corn binder) Scouts while in high school(60’s).
Bought another Scout after hitting Oregon after discharge from service in 73. Visited Sand Lake and saw all the Jeep’s and knew I had been infected.
I’ve owned 6 since returning to Ohio.

I wasn't in the market for a wrangler, but needed a vehicle fast because my previous car blew the motor and wasn't worth fixing. I was 18 at the time and a guy I worked with had a 93 YJ Sahara he didn't want anymore. Only had 115K on the clock and was a 5 speed. I couldn't test drive it because it needed a new brake line, but he said if I bought it he'd get it fixed for me. To this day was probably the best $2,000 I've ever spent. I even had to get a 3 year loan to pay for it :ROFLMAO: I'll be honest I thought it was pretty hideous when I bought it. My mind changed pretty quickly though. From there it was an 04 Rubicon that I bought in 2013 after college and then in 2016 I found my LJR after a year of searching. I will never get rid of it and probably wont ever buy another Jeep vehicle. The new ones just don't do it for me.

Moved out to UT a few years back for the fuck of it, didn't know a thing about trucks or 4-wheeling. Built a lot of cars, used to race, rode bikes blah blah. Decided I wanted to get the fam out on some of these awesome trails right nearby, but couldn't stomach paying upwards of $20-25k for a 4 seat UTV. So I bought a TJ instead.

Reactions: cliffish
Moved out to UT a few years back for the fuck of it, didn't know a thing about trucks or 4-wheeling. Built a lot of cars, used to race, rode bikes blah blah. Decided I wanted to get the fam out on some of these awesome trails right nearby, but couldn't stomach paying upwards of $20-25k for a 4 seat UTV. So I bought a TJ instead.
Good friend of mine, we built houses next to each other this past year in Pa, he just had a 9K quad delivered last week with a plow and was asking me if I was going to get one. I said no, would buy a second TJ if I was considering it. Funny thing is, he has a pretty nice, from TX, TJ in his garage at home!!!

Reactions: qslim