Jalapeño; an extra spicy build

Took it out on a couple trails for the first time since buying it. Got to test the new suspension out and the ride was flawless.
DF0307F4-1457-444F-9E15-58BA6C4CC4A3.jpeg
878EBFF4-2E87-4297-BF15-32262A0960FE.jpeg
6A2114D9-8843-45AF-91DD-653AFCC9DE7F.jpeg

I got to play with some pink jeeps too. One of them was sporting chrome AEV Bridgers. I see AEVs on their fleet quite frequently.
4BA348F1-5524-4625-A54D-70E8B84CF523.jpeg
B6DCF6A2-3B02-46FD-895C-00F1FEE1D940.jpeg

New suspension flexes well for what it is. This is about as extreme as the terrain gets around here, and I can always add a body lift if I start hitting my bumps. I still had a couple inches of clearance on the stuffed side.
66652B15-C1FF-478C-AAAF-9B3D5DA16429.jpeg
B8A2ADFF-23B3-46DA-B9AF-4637E287917E.jpeg
E180A0E5-19D4-4882-8DBF-9EB40E024347.jpeg

Some final scenic shots.
8A7A2A4E-A31A-42F7-AEC6-46B9563EFA20.jpeg
F4944430-8606-4553-A317-6D5ABBD03F8A.jpeg
82E79179-0396-417F-91EA-8B74322B2653.jpeg

This is the stuff I used to paint the frame, and was actually picked based on forum recommendations. I think it looks perfect, and after a few wheeling sessions I don't think you'll ever be able to tell that the frame was painted.
View attachment 161977
That is just what I was looking for.Going to get rid of some light rust and paint the frame. Keeping my 97 sport stock looking also. Just picked up a set of 5 Canyon wheels with 31" Goodyear Wrangler Duratracs. Cant wait to put them on. Your TJ looks great !

That is just what I was looking for.Going to get rid of some light rust and paint the frame. Keeping my 97 sport stock looking also. Just picked up a set of 5 Canyon wheels with 31" Goodyear Wrangler Duratracs. Cant wait to put them on. Your TJ looks great !
Thanks it turned out great! Eventually I'll do the rest of the frame and axles just so it matches and looks fresh. I'll remove the axles to make it easier and that's probably when I'll regear too.

I think Canyon wheels are the best 15" wheel they used for the TJ, and Duratracs are excellent tires. Show off some photos when you get them on!

Done a bit of wheeling since adding the lift.
IMG_3610.jpg

I actually really like how it rides and sits, but it definitely needs gears. It's sitting on 3.73s and 31s with the NV3550. The combo is adequate, but having 4.56 and 33s with the 5-speed on my last jeep, I know what I'm missing in terms of having 4.10s with the 31s. I would like to lock the rear, and I'm on a Dana 35, so I think a rubi rear Dana 44 is in my future. There's a guy in Phoenix that parts out TJs and tends to get a lot of Rubicons. He quoted me $1300 for a complete axle including the locker pump. Not the best price, but this would be much cheaper than going the super 35 route, in addition to regearing and adding a locker. So in the meantime, I will continue with general and preventative maintenance.

Today I tackled the valve cover gasket. I'm kind of blown away at how bad the oil is on the engine with only 53k miles, so in addition to changing the gasket, I also used some Purple Power and a wire brush and scrubbed the block pretty good. I think most of it is was from the grommets.
IMG_3621.jpg

Do yourself a favor when you do this job. Take 15 minutes to remove the coil pack, and the injector wiring along the driver side of the cover. This gives you enough slack to move the wiring room sitting behind the valve cover to above it, giving you plenty of space to get the rear bolt and work around the sides. Unless you have an 03-06 with the plastic bridge behind the valve cover......suckers ;)
IMG_3623.jpg

IMG_3625.jpg

After removing the valve cover, I thoroughly scrubbed head and the manifold, degreasing every bit that I could. The PP/water mixture and a wire brush made quick work of the years of sludge buildup. All of the sludge you see in the above picture is now gone. I did a quick check to the head too. It's not a TUPY, but I didn't see any cracks....yet. Fingers crossed.

I then degreased the valve cover, and added new grommets and elbows. I also cleaned the bolts, and the metal sleeves that go inside the valve cover bolt grommets to shine them up.
IMG_3626.jpg

Finished result.
IMG_3631.jpg

And with it running, to make sure everything still works, which it did. More to come!
IMG_3633.jpg

😭 😭 😭 Someone who is as hung up about stuff like surface rust and the engine bay as I am. Can't wait to see more. And there I was telling you not to spray gun that spicy jalapeño's lid. You've got the OCD to do it. I think I have too much OCD to do it.🤣 I'm starting my build thread soon.

😭 😭 😭 Someone who is as hung up about stuff like surface rust and the engine bay as I am. Can't wait to see more. And there I was telling you not to spray gun that spicy jalapeño's lid. You've got the OCD to do it. I think I have too much OCD to do it.🤣 I'm starting my build thread soon.
I’m such a sucker for that stuff. I eventually plan on tearing out the axles and doing the rest of the frame when I get a Rubi 44 and regear the 30. Waiting for a lower mile Rubi to come in because the only one my junkyard source has has around 160k on it. Most of the ones he parts out have less than 100k on them, so I’ll wait for one.

Can’t wait to see yours!

Reactions: JMT
Damn that is one clean engine bay!
I spray it down whenever I wash the Jeep (like once a week lol) and it keeps it nice looking. I know it’s a Jeep but I see this as an investment just as much as I see it as a toy. Anything I can do to keep resale value up on the chance I’m in a pinch and need to sell!

I need to update this thread, I’ve done a bunch and haven’t documented it yet.

The winch is very beefy and I like how it looks on the raised mount on the stock bumper. It's build quality seems on par with Warn, and reviews rave about the quality and durability.
View attachment 161937

View attachment 161938
I have the same winch on my jeep, previous owner installed it. I've used 3 times for non jeep activities and thought it did good. Only issue I have with mine is I cant get the lever to turn to free spool, I have to use the remote to let cable out.

Reactions: Jamison C
I see I'm not the only one who is a sucker for a clean engine bay. I refuse to let mine get filthy.

I have the same winch on my jeep, previous owner installed it. I've used 3 times for non jeep activities and thought it did good. Only issue I have with mine is I cant get the lever to turn to free spool, I have to use the remote to let cable out.
Usually that’s something you can pull apart and clean/fix. I used mine for the first time last week to yank some roots. Worked great!

I see I'm not the only one who is a sucker for a clean engine bay. I refuse to let mine get filthy.
Dude same here. I want to be able to touch anything in my engine and not come up with anything on my hands.

Usually that’s something you can pull apart and clean/fix. I used mine for the first time last week to yank some roots. Worked great!
I had mine completely taking apart, cleaned what looked like needed it and reassembled. Still cant get it to spin. I may have to take another look at this weekend.

Dude same here. I want to be able to touch anything in my engine and not come up with anything on my hands.

That’s how I am. I don’t want to be coated in grease and nastiness anytime I have to wrench on something.

Well I just got home from work and decided to try it and it spun right around and started free spooling. Looks like it was user error haha

Reactions: Jamison C