JB Conversions Super Short SYE Speedo Failure

Good info. I wouldn't say the JB VSS fails "frequently" but it pops up enough to be a concern. They claim they use OEM Honeywell sensors but I see far less issues from people with OEM rubis than the people with JB stuff, so I'm not sure what the deal is. Hopefully the Napa one works. Good you found that because when you search for the speed sensor for the rubi application, virtually nothing comes up.

Good info. I wouldn't say the JB VSS fails "frequently" but it pops up enough to be a concern. They claim they use OEM Honeywell sensors but I see far less issues from people with OEM rubis than the people with JB stuff, so I'm not sure what the deal is. Hopefully the Napa one works. Good you found that because when you search for the speed sensor for the rubi application, virtually nothing comes up.
That's exactly why I posted.
The part I pulled out looks identical to the Napa part I put in. Same wire colors and all

Reactions: Irun
Glad to hear of this working, I swear I've come across other people trying that same cam position sensor and saying it didn't work.

As I've been rebuilding my 231 with the JB SSYE (the PO who built it was extremely overzealous with the RTV and it clogged the pickup), I've also discovered that the rear output bearing it uses is a 6207N, the seal is a National 472572, and the snap ring that holds the gears to the shaft (which I bent in removal) is a Mopar 4338933.

Anyone happen to know the o-ring size for this VSS? Nothing included in my shitty little kit worked out so mine is, and has been for a while, sealed with gasket maker.
i'd love to remedy that with some knowledge vs research or measurements :whistle::unsure:

Anyone happen to know the o-ring size for this VSS? Nothing included in my shitty little kit worked out so mine is, and has been for a while, sealed with gasket maker.
i'd love to remedy that with some knowledge vs research:rolleyes:
Take the sensor to an orielly. They usually have a little red box of the orings and they can help you. All I know is they're metric and not standard size.

That is, no inch size o-ring worked for me. The numerical sizing at orielly was a bit too tight.

Take the sensor to an orielly. They usually have a little red box of the orings and they can help you. All I know is they're metric and not standard size.

That is, no inch size o-ring worked for me. The numerical sizing at orielly was a bit too tight.
It's the OD measurement I really need. Every option I tried fit the ID but wouldn't fit the bore.

Considering I'm in the market for a SYE, and wanting to do this right the first time around, is the JB Conversions Super Short SYE still the best choice?

It's what I was leaning towards..

Considering I'm in the market for a SYE, and wanting to do this right the first time around, is the JB Conversions Super Short SYE still the best choice?

For a standard lift on a TJ, the JB "Shorty" (SSSYE) is absolutely the best quality solution for lengthening the rear DS. Build quality is excellent!!!

Reactions: Jeep 541X
For a standard lift on a TJ, the JB "Shorty" (SSSYE) is absolutely the best quality solution for lengthening the rear DS. Build quality is excellent!!!

np231j_short_sye.php
YES! It's very easy to see the consideration of design quality and strength of JB compared to other offerings

Last edited: