Jeeep 6x6 Build

GreasySideUp

Oh man. What am I getting myself into….

B62BCBDF-D874-49D8-BF7D-B24BCC385992.jpeg

She’s a 99’ with only 28,000 miles. A company called Performance Top Drives did the conversion when new. It had a hunting rack on it at one point and then was used for patrolling fence lines on the 31,000 acre Bandera Ranch in south Texas. She’s got some bruises from ranch use but was under cover and dry for all those years. Dusty, but zero rust. I don’t think she ever left first gear.

C2CF5066-EFED-49AE-8BE5-86998B81C887.jpeg

97C1D4E9-605E-4FDE-99AF-E717ECE52B3B.jpeg

2AA36B1D-6D0E-47A0-9D87-527CC5E26C82.jpeg

She’s technically a 4x6. Another Jeep was welded onto the back and the tag axle is free wheeling.

What you're not getting yourself into is any trails with sharp switchbacks on exposed ledges, such as Black Bear Pass or The Morrison Jeep Trail. Seriously though, interested to see more here.
I’ve got another Jeep for that. I’m really not sure which direction to go yet. I told myself I’d get it running and drive it for a month before investing anything but I’ve already found myself dreaming of a Jurassic Park rig with 35’s and a thru axle to make it a true 6x6. I love the stance of my red Jeep.

I think the Offroad use is pretty limited, it wouldn’t have anymore Offroad capability than my 2010 even with 50k in added upgrades. It is definitely useful as a truck though so maybe an upgraded mall crawler with some truck functionality.
14A9D98B-25C9-48C9-8961-FE7C6BE18D06.jpeg

0FEEC719-BD85-4910-BB03-576653DF5336.jpeg

It looks like about a 2” body lift. I think these red Fuels with 35’s would be killer. If I’m not flexing, they may work for my purpose. I may need to knock off the outer fenders to squeeze them in. I need to do a little more research.
3500AEA1-AD7C-444F-9125-F0FC07451B29.jpeg

Reactions: PNW_LJ
Yup! I’ve got a full roll cage/rack system in mind as well with gas cans, jacks and useless mall crawler crap hanging off of it too. Possibly a roof top tent. I’d actually get a ton of use from that.

The roll cage would be a good idea. Our jeeps are designed to have the roll cage limit frame and body flex that cracks it apart.

I like the canvas top idea. It would be fun OD green and set up m715/flat fender style.

Routing the exhaust out the back would be a priority for me if nothing else.

A quick bit of googling shows ford 9 inch center sections can be built as a pass through.maybe a custom unimog or other german centersection axle? 6x6 would be sweet!

Anyway cool unique tj! Welcome to the forum and please update us on your progress!

Reactions: Tob and Zorba
So was the rear (rear-rear? rearmost? rearer?) axle ever driven? Does it have a 2nd transfer case?

https://wranglertjforum.com/threads/6x6-tj-good-or-bad.42445/

The rearest rear axle is just a tag axle. It has a differential but it isn’t hooked up to anything. From a quick search, the easiest thing/least fab would be a pass through differential on the nearest rear axle for about 5-6k but I’m not really sure what capability it would give me other than saying all six wheels drive. Being able to say that is definitely worth something though!

When you see it…😮

47F6AA7A-BF5E-421A-B8A3-C47276EB8522.jpeg

This old girl is dusty!! Replaced the headlight and blinker switches along with a few mouse chewed wires under the hood. I poked this guy with a screwdriver and it turns out he was alive. He stung the screwdriver 3 times and then jumped on the floor and scurried under the seat. I can’t find him.

That is awesome because I need to get under there to add seatbelts and I usually drive in flip flops. I love the added exciting game of “Will I get stung by a scorpion while I drive today?” That’s in addition to “I wonder where this thing will strand me in the 107 degree Texas heat….” and “Can I pass a safety inspection without seatbelts…?”

My wife will love it when I tell her. She is unbelievably excited about my second non-working Jeep with no AC. Insect stings and anaphylactic shock will keep her on her toes and that is important in a strong marriage.

Me - “Pack a ziplock full of ice to sit on, let’s go for a ride.”
Her - “I’m going to die in this thing…”
Me - “But how will you die….”

6x6x6

And on the 6th day of 6x6 ownership the Lord sayeth “And let the Jeep have illumination!” and the Jeep lit up and all the deer trembled because another car with antique lights would illuminate them just before they were hit but not soon enough to brake for them.

And so then I shall be off to get an inspection because the blind now see at night. It truly is a miracle because I’m only marginally ok with wires…

7DCB5030-CC78-49C6-AEDD-35A946A07813.jpeg