Jeep Died, What Happened?

Honest_Abe74

Supporting Member
Appreciate any guidance:

Jeep info: 4.0, 42RLE, 5.13 gears, 33x10.5s

Here’s what happened…driving home after camping Memorial Day, cruising fine along I-70 at 70-75mph. Headed up Vail Pass eastbound (very long steep uphill for those not familiar). Jeep died about a quarter mile from the summit, probably around 9500 feet in elevation. Or more accurately, the Jeep stayed running but absolutely no input from the pedal. No weird symptoms from the gauges or check engine light. But pressing the gas resulted in no revs or anything. At the time this happened, was around 3500-4000 rpm at 60mph and had sustained this for the previous few miles. I was able to coast to the (fortunately) very wide shoulder and turn it off. I let it sit for a few minutes, checked the oil (fine), and looked at the transmission fluid even though I know the reading wouldn’t be accurate in park. No weird smells there either. Turned it on after 5-10 minutes, Jeep idled very rough and then died, but immediately turned it off and on again, at which it idled normally and I was able to make it another 200 yards along the shoulder at which point same thing happened. This time I let it sit 15-20 minutes, and then turned it back on and it drove just fine back to Denver including through the tunnels and up Floyd Hill. I did not let it go above 3000rpms again. So what should I look for? Torque converter?

Other relevant info: I had noticed jeep had been making mild grinding noises when I was not in the gas, i.e coasting, but as soon as I pressed gas it went away. Not sure grinding is the proper way to describe it. Perhaps scraping?

Other less relevant info but perhaps important: no front driveshaft installed due to terrible vibrations after regear. Gears are about 1000miles old. This all happened at the tail end of my weekend, and I put about 800 miles on the jeep over the few days prior with no issues, including driving westbound on I-70 to Utah from Denver. Also no gas cap on the jeep, left it at the last gas station…oops.

• Sad
Reactions: inkedrose
I don't know about the dying thing but I know a gas cap left off will throw a code pretty quick. I'm geared to 5.13 too and super happy with it. Bummer way to end the weekend

I don't know about the dying thing but I know a gas cap left off will throw a code pretty quick. I'm geared to 5.13 too and super happy with it. Bummer way to end the weekend

You know I thought that too but for whatever reason it never threw a code after ~400 miles of driving. Bummer for sure, but it did make it back home so at least there is that. The 5.13s are fantastic!

Reactions: inkedrose
Could be a fuel pump on the way out. I don't remember when they took the test port off the fuel rail. If you have the port, very easy to stick a guage on it and verify fuel pressure. Otherwise, you have to get the adapter kit to test fuel pressure.

One other thought, the PCM takes an air pressure reading when you start the Jeep to determine the air density. It does not update that reading unless you go WOT until you turn the Jeep off and back on. So maybe a wonky MAP sensor based on the fact you were changing alt.

Reactions: Honest_Abe74
…the Jeep stayed running but absolutely no input from the pedal.

…pressing the gas resulted in no revs or anything.

If you’re saying that pressing the gas pedal does not increase the RPMs, this is the symptom I would concentrate on.

It would be helpful to have a scanner with live data and the ability to command sensors to determine if it’s a mechanical issue or a sensor.

Reactions: Honest_Abe74
Could be a fuel pump on the way out. I don't remember when they took the test port off the fuel rail. If you have the port, very easy to stick a guage on it and verify fuel pressure. Otherwise, you have to get the adapter kit to test fuel pressure.

One other thought, the PCM takes an air pressure reading when you start the Jeep to determine the air density. It does not update that reading unless you go WOT until you turn the Jeep off and back on. So maybe a wonky MAP sensor based on the fact you were changing alt.

I’ll check into these. Appreciate the post

…the Jeep stayed running but absolutely no input from the pedal.

…pressing the gas resulted in no revs or anything.

If you’re saying that pressing the gas pedal does not increase the RPMs, this is the symptom I would concentrate on.

It would be helpful to have a scanner with live data and the ability to command sensors to determine if it’s a mechanical issue or a sensor.

Agreed, getting a scanner would be great but seeing as how the Jeep has not done it again I’m not sure how easy it will be to replicate the issue to get any data