Jeep doesn't start no crank, all of the sudden, hear some kind of priming

leonardo

I drove my jeep a week before it just stopped on me. Didn't drive it cuz I needed to put my hard top back on. It doesn't start or crank. It doesn't show a fuel level on the dash. Can that mean it's a bad fuel pump? I had a bad starter about 6+ months ago and I hit it with a hammer and it worked fine but now it's not starting again and hitting it didn't do anything. I sent videos to help diagnose it.

Attachments

• IMG_4206.mov
    1.4 MB
  • IMG_4207.mov
    4.8 MB
Hitting your starter and getting it to work is a pretty good sign that you need to replace your starter soon.

But ever since I hit it that one time it started up no questions asked and all the sudden its not starting anymore. Do you think it could be a fuel related issue since the fuel gauge shows empty even though there's gas in it?

The fuel gauge reading is not related to the fuel pump (well...the sender float is part of the whole pump assembly, but I can't tell you the last time I heard about THAT being an issue). It's also not controlled through the PCM like the other gauges are, so given that you also have an intermittent starter issue, my money is on a bad ground somewhere.

The gauge only reads the level, what you need to run is fuel pressure, which you can tell if you've got by listening for the fuel system to prime by hearing relay click and then the pump to kick on for a second or two with the key ON but prior to turning the engine over. If you don't hear the click & prime then it could be a number of things, including but not limited to the pump. However it will not stop your jeep from cranking.

I realize I'm sort of necro-ing this thread, but it popped up in my "related threads" section and saw it wasn't resolved yet.

Also check the ground connection on said starter hitting it might have been just enough to make it connect well but like others said if you had to hit it with a hammer to start it’s a pretty indicative sign that your starter isn’t functioning properly. I fought a no crank no start and the poor ground on the starter side was my issue, the replacement I got had a loose terminal that was causing a bad ground.

Check battery voltage off and running and get a pressure gauge on the fuel rail.

My 97 is getting harder to start...it's spinning over fine but my guess is it's the internal pressure regulator. Starts quick the second time. Going to start carrying a fuel pump assembly.

-Mac

Reactions: hear
Hitting your starter and getting it to work is a pretty good sign that you need to replace your starter soon.

Question about testing a starter.

I'm experiencing a crank but no start issue. When I say crank, I mean when I turn the key I can hear the starter, but I see no rise in rpms on the tach, and the engine doesn't start.

Even tho I hear the starter, is it possible that it's not working? Would giving it a smack with a hammer be worth a try?

Is the fan blade going round and round? If so the starter is doing it’s job and there’s no need to beat it

I haven't looked at that. I'll have to try that tomorrow to verify. So if I hear the starter but don't see the fan blade move that's an indicator that the starter is bad?