CamKenyon

My girlfriend’s Jeep is a 2000 2.5 L auto. Lately whenever she comes to a stop it feels as if it is going to stall, even though it is an auto. When she goes to press the petal she said that it feels like trying to start from second in a manual. Almost as if the motor feels bogged down. I suspect it is a sensor issue but I was wondering if anyone had any experience with an issue like this. I go down next week and I already gotta replace the power steering gear, the fuel filler neck and now this problem. Hoping to get everything straightened out asap. Thank you or any help you guys can provide. If this explanation doesn’t make any sense ill try to get her to video the problem/

She said that yes it still has a CEL. When the problem started she said that the CEL came on. I am going to try to figure out the code when I get down there but she doesn’t know how to get the code. Ill have to get a OBD 2 scanner when I get down there. Thank you for the Quick response.

No need for an OBD scanner to get the code, just quickly turn the ignition switch on-off-on three times within five seconds and then leave it in the on position to let the diagnostics run. Once they're complete any codes stored in the computer will show up in the odometer display. If you did it right you'll at least see a 'Done' in the display.

Reactions: RussTJ
No need for an OBD scanner to get the code, just quickly turn the ignition switch on-off-on three times within five seconds and then leave it in the on position to let the diagnostics run. Once they're complete any codes stored in the computer will show up in the odometer display. If you did it right you'll at least see a 'Done' in the display.
She tried to do that but it did not seem to work. I was on face time with her and it seemed like she was doing exactly what you said but she could not get the code to come up. I wish I could try it myself but I wont be down there till next Monday.

Is it throwing a check engine light by chance?
She said that yes it still has a CEL. When the problem started she said that the CEL came on. I am going to try to figure out the code when I get down there but she doesn’t know how to get the code. Ill have to get a OBD 2 scanner when I get down there. Thank you for the Quick response.

Happy to help! Let us know what the code says once you get it scanned. That will tell us a lot.

The codes don't show up immediately, you have to wait for them to appear.
She gave it like 20-30 seconds. Is it more of like a 1-2 min wait? Does it do anything in the meantime? Every video I see on youtube shows something with the odometer switch but in the comments on those the late 90's and early 2000 jeeps seem to be the method you are mentioning. Would you happen to have a link to a video? Thank you for all of your help btw.

Happy to help! Let us know what the code says once you get it scanned. That will tell us a lot.
Sorry for the delay. Just scanned the jeep today and I got a P0121 and a P0123. It looks like I need a new Throttle Position Sensor. I saw that there was a procedure to check it to be sure but I have not been able to find it.

Sorry missed your question in post #9 above. If done correctly, it take less than 3-4 seconds at the very most for the codes to display. She must have a very early 2000 for that method suggested above not to work. That method doesn't work in 98-99 models and in very early '00 models but it works in all others model years.

The way I'd test a TPS would be to use an analog (the kind with a meter & indicator needle ) multi-meter set on its Ohms/resistance scale. Sweeping the TPS should cause the ohmmeter's indicator to sweep very evenly and non-erratically. Sudden dips/increases over a short sweep of the TPS shaft indicates a bad spot on the variable resistor inside. Set the ohmmeter's scale so you get a good full-scale sweep of the meter's needle as you rotate the TPS shaft.

Reactions: KCsTJ
While I don't know the procedure to test a TPS off-hand, Jerry has a great method.

If you want the method used in the FSM, download a free FSM here:
Jeep Wrangler TJ Factory Service Manuals (FSM) & Technical Documentation

Open it up and do a CTRL+F (Command+F if you're on a Mac like me) and in the search type in "TPS" or "Throttle Position Sensor". Go through all the results until you find the page with the method for testing it.

Report back with your findings!

Oh, and if you end up replacing it, ONLY use a factory Mopar TPS. All the aftermarket ones will give you trouble, guaranteed!

Reactions: RussTJ and Daryl