Jeep Liberty Gen1 ("KJ") - who has owned one?

psrivats

Team green shackle
Supporting Member
I've been pondering about an XJ replacement for a while and I am thinking to buying a used KJ (2005, Liberty 1st gen) to replace my XJ. I am looking at the 3.7 V6+42RLE combo. I will keep it stock.

Who has owned one of these, and how has your experience been? Any important things I should be aware of? I know @jjvw has the KK (2nd gen Liberty) but wondering if anyone has (or currently owns) the 1st gen KJ.

There isn't much carry-over between the KJ and KK. But mine has the same engine/transmission. It's fine. It works. It's an odd vehicle in that there is nothing to complain about, nor is it at all exciting. 🤣

• Haha
Reactions: D M
There isn't much carry-over between the KJ and KK. But mine has the same engine/transmission. It's fine. It works. It's an odd vehicle in that there is nothing to complain about, nor is it at all exciting. 🤣

I will happily settle for that since I think that's a rarity these days.

My needs are simple - I want is something that is reasonably reliable, carry 4 adults in reasonable comfort, have space to carry cargo, have AWD/4WD for winter weather and is not priced out in the stratosphere in the used market. Essentially a good replacement for the XJ. Apparently that is not a simple ask. It is crazy how expensive Honda/Toyota and esp Subaru tend to be.

I think your KK has a bit more space than the KJ .. I just can't find one at the moment locally that ticks the mileage/price box.

Reactions: D M and jjvw
I liked the 1st gen Liberty - the bug eyed headlites were cool! Considering the big deal Jeep made of that feature at the time, I'm surprised (& disappointed) that they got rid of it with the 2nd gen. *shrug*

I had a KJ with the CRD so can’t comment on the V6. It was nice to have AWD mode in addition to 4HI/4LO modes. It was capable off road and had decent ergonomics. I regularly got 35+ MPG. Cargo room not great and back seats are uncomfortable because they’re designed to lay down flatter (which makes it easier to load stuff). Cloth seats always look dirty and are difficult to clean, would recommend leather if you can find one in good shape. I think there’s a stock shelf option for a little more upper storage in the cargo area. Was never a fan of the barn door glass tailgate configuration.

I had a KJ with the CRD so can’t comment on the V6. It was nice to have AWD mode in addition to 4HI/4LO modes. It was capable off road and had decent ergonomics. I regularly got 35+ MPG. Cargo room not great and back seats are uncomfortable because they’re designed to lay down flatter (which makes it easier to load stuff). Cloth seats always look dirty and are difficult to clean, would recommend leather if you can find one in good shape. I think there’s a stock shelf option for a little more upper storage in the cargo area. Was never a fan of the barn door glass tailgate configuration.

Cargo area is pretty close to XJ no?

I had a 2005 KJ with the CRD for 150K over 8yrs. That things was a tractor with the 242 Transfer Case and 545 Tranny. We went everywhere in ALL WEATHER. We even had it with 2 kids during car seats and stroller timeframe. The wife hated to get rid of it and the Grand Caravan that replaced it has been fine, but not the Jeep. She still is a bit mad at me but she is not mechanical at all. I opted to move it along as we neared 200K, since it would need a timing belt and at that mileage the head should come off to replace the valves. We regularly got 30mpg+ and with the tune and del it was even better. If you can find a well cared for diesel they are great, but orphaned these days so you have to WANT the diesel.

My parents bought a 2006 CRD after we bought ours. They put a tranny in around 180K and it now has 250K+ on it. I've warned them about the head and valves, but I think they are just going to run it until it blows. Rust is starting to show pretty bad.

As to the KJ part, as mentioned the cloth seats ALWAYS show water stains. Sweat from a soda will leave a mark on the seat. Window regulator clips are a common issue, but there is a metal upgrade available. The rear wishbone has a bushing that needs frequent replacement. But in reality just buy a new wishbone as the hole wears over time. The front driver footwell is pretty narrow if you have big feet, I prefer a stick but was glad this was automatic. Overall you sit straight up in the Liberty, more so on the back. But ergonomics and site lines are pretty good.

Reactions: Zorba and psrivats
Similar, maybe slightly less? We kept first aid kit, etc under the back seats.

I found these dimensions below for the KJ (seat folded down). And comparing to my XJ .. pretty close. I did some more digging and found out that that the space behind the rear seats is smaller in the KJ than the XJ, but the usable space once the seats are folded down is pretty close (without the rear spare, the XJ is wider, but I always had it inside so for me not a major difference). They must have moved the seats back for more rear legroom and that was a somewhat frequent complaint on the XJ for me from backseat passengers, esp taller folks.

1689346107668.png

Reactions: RMETeeJay
I had a 2005 KJ with the CRD for 150K over 8yrs. That things was a tractor with the 242 Transfer Case and 545 Tranny. We went everywhere in ALL WEATHER. We even had it with 2 kids during car seats and stroller timeframe. The wife hated to get rid of it and the Grand Caravan that replaced it has been fine, but not the Jeep. She still is a bit mad at me but she is not mechanical at all. I opted to move it along as we neared 200K, since it would need a timing belt and at that mileage the head should come off to replace the valves. We regularly got 30mpg+ and with the tune and del it was even better. If you can find a well cared for diesel they are great, but orphaned these days so you have to WANT the diesel.

My parents bought a 2006 CRD after we bought ours. They put a tranny in around 180K and it now has 250K+ on it. I've warned them about the head and valves, but I think they are just going to run it until it blows. Rust is starting to show pretty bad.

As to the KJ part, as mentioned the cloth seats ALWAYS show water stains. Sweat from a soda will leave a mark on the seat. Window regulator clips are a common issue, but there is a metal upgrade available. The rear wishbone has a bushing that needs frequent replacement. But in reality just buy a new wishbone as the hole wears over time. The front driver footwell is pretty narrow if you have big feet, I prefer a stick but was glad this was automatic. Overall you sit straight up in the Liberty, more so on the back. But ergonomics and site lines are pretty good.

Thanks for sharing. I am not opposed to diesel but the gas ones are much more easier to find and that's likely what I will get. Other folks will drive it occasionally and therefor it has to be an auto. And good to know about the rear wishbone bushing, I will remember to atleast peek at it.

I have never been a fan of leather seats and I find cloth to be way more comfortable. Maybe I will get a seat cover or something if it bothers me.

Thanks for sharing. I am not opposed to diesel but the gas ones are much more easier to find and that's likely what I will get. Other folks will drive it occasionally and therefor it has to be an auto. And good to know about the rear wishbone bushing, I will remember to atleast peek at it.

I have never been a fan of leather seats and I find cloth to be way more comfortable. Maybe I will get a seat cover or something if it bothers me.

Neighbors over the hill had a 'o2 KJ with the gas motor. Next door neighbors have a '08 Nitro which is basically the same as the newer model Liberty. It's a small V6 with an auto, it gets the job done. But not too peppy. I think the gas motor is reliable enough and easy to service/parts.

Reactions: psrivats
I've been pondering about an XJ replacement for a while and I am thinking to buying a used KJ (2005, Liberty 1st gen) to replace my XJ. I am looking at the 3.7 V6+42RLE combo. I will keep it stock.

Who has owned one of these, and how has your experience been? Any important things I should be aware of? I know @jjvw has the KK (2nd gen Liberty) but wondering if anyone has (or currently owns) the 1st gen KJ.

Team XJ.

Reactions: psrivats
I drove an '06 as my commuter car for a few years. My daughter now drives it. I have no complaints. Kind of fun to drive. The short upper dash and bug eye headlights are quirky. The roof rack is super strong. I hauled about twenty 16' 2x6's from HD to my house without a problem.