Jeep makes grinding Noise from Transmission?

BasicGrunge

Hello All, another question for those more experienced and mechanically apt than myself: My Jeep TJ (97 4.0 AX-15) is now making a grinding noise when engaging Reverse Gear. It is an extremely hard shift, but the grinding continues if I let off the pedal and allow the clutch to fully engage. Sounds like the proverbial ‘Can of marbles.’ Decided to do some homework to isolate the problem, and found I could place the Transfer case in Neutral, and allow the gears to spin. Still makes the same sound regardless of the transfer case being in Neutral. It occurs mainly (and loudest) in Reverse, but also occurs in 5th, as well as in 3rd and 4th. Any help or instruction is appreciated! I’m beginning to think I bought a Jeep with a bad Tranny. I just replaced fluids as well with 3.5 Qts of RedLine MT-90, but the noise was present before this. Thanks!

Last edited:
Hello All, another question for those more experienced and mechanically apt than myself: My Jeep TJ (97 4.0 AX-15) is now making a grinding noise when engaging Reverse Gear. It is an extremely hard shift, but the grinding continues if I let off the pedal and allow the clutch to fully engage. Sounds like the proverbial ‘Can of marbles.’ Decided to do some homework to isolate the problem, and found I could place the Transfer case in Neutral, and allow the gears to spin. Still makes the same sound regardless of the transfer case being in Neutral. It occurs mainly (and loudest) in Reverse, but also occurs in 5th, as well as in 3rd and 4th. Any help or instruction is appreciated! I’m beginning to think I bought a Jeep with a bad Tranny. I just replaced fluids as well with 3.5 Qts of RedLine MT-90, but the noise was present before this. Thanks!

Failing slave cylinder causing the clutch to not fully disengage between shifts?

That or the synchros are toast.

When draining the fluid, did you inspect for metal shaving / forbidden confetti?

AX-15s are not hard to remove, disassemble and replace parts.

Wish I had done mine...was under a time crunch and swapped mine from a local rebuilder.

Six times various AX-15s came and went in and out of my Jeep over two months. Finally gave up and bought a new one from Advanced Adapters. I would have fixed mine...and I still have it in a crate...if I could find the back half of the case...last one the shop gave me was cracked.

-Mac