Jeep pulling left and right

Jon Wildes

TJ Padawan
Supporting Member
When i bought my jeep it would pull left and right constantly and with great gusto. I swapped out the track bar and then i put on Currie Correctlync steering. i have also now put on Currie control arms. every step of the way has reduced the amount of pulling a great deal and significantly increased my ride quality. it no longer pulls while breaking but seems as though im always in a rut on any road. it will just pull a little bit like its running out of a rut then pull back. i am thinking my next step would be the actual steering box as it leaks and looks as if its going bad. i also still have a small dead spot in my steering although it is much better than was.

My 2001 does this somewhat as well. The 33x12.5 tires probably add to the slight pulling/wandering and steering corrections. I have recently read about tightening up the steering gearbox by loosening the jam not and turning the bolt clockwise with an Allen Wrench about 1/8 of a turn, then tightening jam nut. This is on top of the steering box near front bumper.
I am not condoning this, I have only read about it and some people have had some luck with it.

Toe out will cause darting from side to side...

Hopefully toe in(out) was checked before anything was replaced. If it was checked, and was in tolerance, I'd say the tie rod ends and ball joints are probably OK (or it shouldn't have passed the toe in check) so there doesn't seem to be much left to replace but the steering box.

Reactions: Jon Wildes
Yeah, I dont make assumptions, and if you do a stationary check of the box buy rocking the steering wheel back and forth, I would look for slop in the sector shaft bushing, no slop and not choppy, probably not the box.

its when im driving no braking. i need to have the alignment done professionally.

If you want to check it, put the front on jack stands and pull off your wheels. I used two straight edges clamped to the rotors and measured the distance from the rear of the rotors and then the front of each rotor. Toe in should be around 1/16th of an inch. This got me to the alignment shop and was actually pretty good.