Jeep sputters when accelerating in gear.

WAMPAROO

My 99 Jeep Sahara has been displaying odd behavior when accelerating in gear. I don't notice anything during idle, but after I've gone about 50 yards in first gear, the engine kind of sputters (a little bit) and I lose a little bit of power. If I kick in the clutch and rev it, I've never had a sputter or a problem. This continues in 2nd and 3rd — maybe 4th? By that time I'm going fast enough that a momentary sputter wouldn't be noticeable. It doesn't last long enough to stall the engine, and like I said, I can kind of "wake it up" by kicking the clutch in and revving it until it remembers how to run normally again. As the engine warms it becomes less noticeable. It has had new spark plugs/cap and the throttle position sensor has been replaced.

Some background, the jeep is relatively low mileage (107k) but is a Jeep that lived most of its life on salted roads for sure. There is a good amount of rust and mystery issues. In December I was driving normally and all of the brake pressure went out when the brake line rusted through.

Any ideas about the sputtering? It isn't throwing any codes. I was looking around and thought it sounded kind of like an O2 sensor (which would make sense, it is past 100k miles and I doubt they've ever been replaced) but I don't have any kind of strong gas smell that people have mentioned with faulty 02 sensors.

Thank you for your help!

If the cap and rotor were replaced….were the ignition wires? If so I’d say focus on the O2 sensors if you’re feeling it on acceleration.