Jeep Tj Starting Issue

Brantle

Hello everyone, I just bought a 1999 Jeep Sahara about a month ago. I've been fixing up some general issues on it, one problem that I haven't gotten around to is the fuel pump replacement to fix its long start issue. I say that because now I'm having even more problems with starting. If I try to start it, nothing happens. All the electronics will come on, but no sound from the starter, no turning over, etc. If I leave the key in the ignition and turn the key so that all the electronics turn on and leave it there for a minute, the car will start up just fine. It just started doing this today.

As far as I can tell everything is working fine once I eventually get it to start.

Any input as to why this might be happening would be appreciated.

Welcome to the forum, War Eagle!

The symptoms you’re describing (no start, no click, dash lights on etc.) are indicative of a bad ignition switch actuator. It’s a small piece of shitty pot metal that connects the lock cylinder to the ignition switch. Very common problem on our TJs, but also easy to fix.

I had the same problem on mine last year, I took it apart & found that it was starting to crack. Sometimes it would crank, sometimes it wouldn’t. Search the forum here for the actuator, there are a ton of threads on it & related symptoms. Hope it helps!

After messing around with it a bit more it seems I actually have a different problem. The issue is that the "cylinder" that I stick my key into is loose. Loose enough that I can push it back and it pops back up. If I don't push it back all the way while turning the key, it won't start. When I push it back, it starts right up.