Jeep vs Pole

b0xcar

TJ Enthusiast
What a day... the story goes.

Decided to back my Jeep up into a pole! What a darn bone headed move by me!! I'm trained to follow the Smith System while driving and I obviously failed two keys. "Get the big picture" and "make sure you leave yourself an out" it was a tight parking lot and I only saw one spot left. As I pulled into the parking lot I failed to see the pole on my left that I was about to back into. I mean I drove right past this pole!! Went in the store, purchased my items and ready to head home. Never saw that darn pole as I went back to the Jeep and got in. Looked over my right shoulder, started backing up, cut the steering wheel left and started to turn. BOOM! I immediately thought what the heck! In about 3 secs I also thought it may have been another car coming off the highway and I backed into it. Or it was a parked car and I hit it! Looked over my left shoulder and saw a big arse blue pole. After seeing the pole I felt MUCH better that it wasn't a car. At this point I'm not in panic mode or anything. I weasel my way out of this tight spot and casually drive off. Get on the highway and I'm just driving with the top off with a big smile on my face thinking this idiot just ran into a pole. I was like man! That was a pretty solid hit! Was it the tire? Bumper? Corner of the Jeep? Pull up to a red light... take a peek in the rearview at the people behind me. Trying to get a read on them if they see anything unusual behind my Jeep. They are just yacking away at each other but it doesn't look like they are talking about the cool Jeep in front of them. I feel a lot better now! Next stop is at the local pawn shop to find an SWR meter. I pull in the parking lot. Go to turn the key and notice I have the shakes a little. Thought, well... lets take a look! I get back there, saw some blue paint and thought... it'll buff. If anyone is curious, Metalcloak makes a pretty good bumper if you like to hit stuff.

20180318_131059.jpg

Cleaned up nice

20180318_132811.jpg

Lucky me, lucky me!

I did something similar with my first jeep in 2003. Went into a restaurant and ate. Came out and hit a pole with my front bumper while backing out and cutting my steering to the right. And I had to walk around the pole to get into my jeep. Damaged the flotation device on the end of the bumper and creased the fender (ever so slightly). Replaced the flotation device and used a bit of touch up paint to hide the mark I left when I straightened out the crease in the fender. So don’t feel to bad, most of us do stupid things.

Reactions: b0xcar
I did something similar with my first jeep in 2003. Went into a restaurant and ate. Came out and hit a pole with my front bumper while backing out and cutting my steering to the right. And I had to walk around the pole to get into my jeep. Damaged the flotation device on the end of the bumper and creased the fender (ever so slightly). Replaced the flotation device and used a bit of touch up paint to hide the mark I left when I straightened out the crease in the fender. So don’t feel to bad, most of us do stupid things.
Yes daily !!! lol

I dig that Metalcloak bumper, I just don't dig the price! Looks like it came out nicely though!