Jeep Wrangler TJ Camshaft Position Sensor Replacement

Reactions: sab
I looked at your rig and thought, "huh, eerily similar looking to mine." then I looked at your mods list and thought, "I've got a looooong ways to go."

If you noticed, a lot of those mods are not done…. Soon, though!

Thanks for posting this, @Chris.

I wanted to share my experience with this sensor in case it's useful to anyone else:

I was winding the engine out (nothing crazy, about 3,500 RPM or so) and let off the accelerator and pushed in the clutch when I got a sudden CEL. Got home and checked the codes and got P0340 with a pending P1391.

Right then, I should have pulled the camshaft position sensor, but instead I replaced my crankshaft position sensor (I had read online that it could cause that combination of codes). The codes remained.

I pulled the camshaft position sensor, and the magnet in the center had completely detached from the sensor housing. It was stuck to the allen head bolt securing the OPDA with lots of metal filings all around. I super-glued the magnet back on and used rubbing alcohol and q-tips to clean everything and bolted it back on (I ordered a new sensor and will be replacing it). I cleared the codes and took a test drive. I now have more power and smoother idle than since I bought the Jeep a few months ago.

Did you ever figure out if it should have any play up / down side to side? I see no magnet starts.. then dies very rough idle also.

For those that need the relearn, I found that this scanner will successfully do it:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0744B55QV/?tag=wranglerorg-20

Takes like 5 minutes. Not cheap but you can do it every time you touch the camshaft synchronizer.

As a note, I have seen people claim you can reset it by unplugging the PCM. For the 05-06 series at least, the cam-crank correlation data is stored in non-volatile memory, and unplugging it will not reset it.