Jeep Wrangler TJ Camshaft Position Sensor Replacement

Thanks for posting this, @Chris.

I wanted to share my experience with this sensor in case it's useful to anyone else:

I was winding the engine out (nothing crazy, about 3,500 RPM or so) and let off the accelerator and pushed in the clutch when I got a sudden CEL. Got home and checked the codes and got P0340 with a pending P1391.

Right then, I should have pulled the camshaft position sensor, but instead I replaced my crankshaft position sensor (I had read online that it could cause that combination of codes). The codes remained.

I pulled the camshaft position sensor, and the magnet in the center had completely detached from the sensor housing. It was stuck to the allen head bolt securing the OPDA with lots of metal filings all around. I super-glued the magnet back on and used rubbing alcohol and q-tips to clean everything and bolted it back on (I ordered a new sensor and will be replacing it). I cleared the codes and took a test drive. I now have more power and smoother idle than since I bought the Jeep a few months ago.

Reactions: Chris
Another update in case anyone can help.

Once again while winding it out @ 4,000 RPMs, I got a new code: P0300 (Random Misfire Detected Code). I took the sensor back off and noticed more fine shavings. When I move the pulse ring laterally, I get about a millimeter of play.

How much lateral play should there be? I feel like the pulse ring play could be why my previous sensor magnet broke off and why I get the new code. I am thinking I should replace the OPDA.

Another update in case anyone can help.

Once again while winding it out @ 4,000 RPMs, I got a new code: P0300 (Random Misfire Detected Code). I took the sensor back off and noticed more fine shavings. When I move the pulse ring laterally, I get about a millimeter of play.

How much lateral play should there be? I feel like the pulse ring play could be why my previous sensor magnet broke off and why I get the new code. I am thinking I should replace the OPDA.

Not too long ago I was fighting a few different codes around what I thought was the CamPS - including a random misfire. Have you checked that the spark plugs are good? I also rotated the housing of the OPDA a little to correct my misaligned install after comparing it to old pics.

Yes, I installed the recommended spark plugs about 300 miles ago. Idle is fine, it's only when I wind up to higher RPMs that the new code gets thrown. And I'm concerned about the fact that I'm seeing metal shavings and that my previous camshaft position sensor had the magnet broken off.

I went ahead and ordered a new Dorman OPDA with sensor. I will check the lateral play on the new one and go from there.

Yes, I installed the recommended spark plugs about 300 miles ago. Idle is fine, it's only when I wind up to higher RPMs that the new code gets thrown. And I'm concerned about the fact that I'm seeing metal shavings and that my previous camshaft position sensor had the magnet broken off.

I went ahead and ordered a new Dorman OPDA with sensor. I will check the lateral play on the new one and go from there.

That’s a fairly inexpensive way to check, hopefully that’s it!

I wanted to share my experience with this sensor in case it's useful to anyone else:

I was winding the engine out (nothing crazy, about 3,500 RPM or so) and let off the accelerator and pushed in the clutch when I got a sudden CEL. Got home and checked the codes and got P0340 with a pending P1391.

Right then, I should have pulled the camshaft position sensor, but instead I replaced my crankshaft position sensor (I had read online that it could cause that combination of codes). The codes remained.

I pulled the camshaft position sensor, and the magnet in the center had completely detached from the sensor housing. It was stuck to the allen head bolt securing the OPDA with lots of metal filings all around. I super-glued the magnet back on and used rubbing alcohol and q-tips to clean everything and bolted it back on (I ordered a new sensor and will be replacing it). I cleared the codes and took a test drive. I now have more power and smoother idle than since I bought the Jeep a few months ago.
How did you unplug the Camshaft sensor from the wiring harness?

How did you unplug the sensor from the wiring harness?

Assuming this is an 05+ (I think that’s all that had the opda):

this is a different sensor, but same latch. Press the little disconnected piece over a touch, and up:

image.jpg

After that there’s a little thumb lever to press in and pull the connection apart. If that isn’t there (e.g. the thumb press is broken off or you have a different setup), you’ll need to lever it with a small flathead or pick.

You can post a pic so we know exactly what you’re seeing.

Assuming this is an 04+:

this is a different sensor, but same latch. Press the little disconnected piece over a touch, and up:

View attachment 165552

After that there’s a little thumb lever to press in and pull the connection apart. If that isn’t there, you’ll need to lever it with a small flathead or pick.
Sorry I didn't specify. It's a 2002 with the 4.0. the plug doesn't look close to that.

Like @Wade Durbin says, it can be tight. In my case, spraying a little PB Blaster where the 2 pieces come together and waiting a few minutes did the trick. If any of it gets on the actual metal terminals, clean it off before putting it back together.

Reactions: Wade Durbin

Same issues, just bought it and the first codes were the O2 sensor. So I replaced them all, now it kind of shutters and has little power, haft to down shift. I ordered a crank and cam sensor. I want to replace the distributor with a high performance one, not sure how to do it but I know people?

reviving this old thread to tap the collective experience: I know Mopar is best for these TJs, but I can't find a Mopar camshaft position sensor. But I can find NTK or Standard Motor products. I don't know Standard Motor Products, but I do know NTK (I have their O2 sensors). However, the NTK sensor says "Possible relearn procedure required, check FSM"

Any experience with these brands for CPS or what a "relearn procedure is"? TIA!