Jeep Wrangler TJ Radio Wiring

6zbeast

I’m replacing the radio in my 2002 Jeep Wrangler Sport TJ and bought the wiring harness that seems to be standard. I connected enough of the wires to make it work but there is an orange wire with a white stripe left over coming from the white connector of the jeep. The stuff on the internet says dimmer. Since there are so few wires coming from the jeep I can only imagine that it is important. It could be that the radio I bought doesn’t dim but I want to make sure.

What should I connect this orange and white wire to?

The new radio has a few extra wires:
Pink (which it says goes to the back up camera)
Brown (which it says goes to steering wheel controls the jeep TJ doesn’t have)
Orange (illumination, whatever that means because the radio lights up without it connected to anything)
Green (this extra wire is strange because there are two other greens that I connected together for the speakers).

Should I just connect the orange wire from the stereo to the orange wire w/white stripe from the jeep.

Also, there was a blue wire from the stereo that I connected to the blue one front m the jeep but everything says this is for a power antenna so it doesn’t make sense why the jeep had a blue wire at all.

6E278386-E90D-4D06-B0FC-2DA8E44CEF2B.jpeg

0E9D166E-EE9D-4A95-BF15-527C2E3B0189.jpeg

There's a dark-blue wire for the - lead to the right-front speaker. I don't see a red wire with a pink tracer anywhere in the TJ's schematic for a 2002. Could it be pink with a white tracer? If so that's the main always-on power wire for the radio.

Your new radio's illumination wire can connect to the TJ's orange wire which connects to the dashlight dimmer control so the radio's illumination level will go up & down with the instrument cluster lights.

Radio 1.JPG

Radio 2.JPG

Radio 3.JPG

Read the manual for the head unit... the manual will call out if/where to connect that wire.

Are you using an integration harness, or cutting/splicing into the factory harness?

Any wire that you do not use, you'll need to shring wrap the end, or tape the ends to prevent shorting under the dash.

What is that clear tape you have on those uncrimped crimp connectors? You need to crimp those, and get some good quality electrical tape (or shrink wrap) to cover the connectors. Leaving those ends like that will earn you the DSPO badge...