JK or TJ?

Asking for a mate :)
If money was no option and you had to choose a used TJ or a used JK for general everyday use and some light off roading. Which would you go for?
If you’re really wanting to “drive” and enjoy driving then a TJ for sure. The JK is going to be much more comfortable overall but you’re going to have more fun in the TJ in my opinion.

Nothing better than the 5 spd manual in a TJ if you really love driving 💪🏼

Reactions: Jerry Bransford
I’ve driven one lifted, modded 3.8 JKU with mud tires that sort of had the agricultural feel the TJ inherited from the CJ - but for the most part the JKs/JLs feel like what they are designed to feel like, an SUV, in order to pull that buyer, which they have succeeded massively at.

I’d like one with 33-34” tires for longer trips for the storage capacity and manners, and likely would have one if they offered something around 4.5+ liters under the hood- that with the 8 speed auto would be a good combo, sort of like how the 4.0 and 32RH work so well together.

Because my love of Jeeps was born around the CJ-7, the TJ does it for me- it has the look without being totally utilitarian.

The evolution of the Jeep to what we have today may have been inevitable, but to many purists it is not what they wanted it to become at all. Hard to speak for the masses, but I think a sturdier, better powered and more reliable platform engineered to do more of what Jeep owners tend to do would have, and still could, create a big following.

As successful as the 4 door has been, I tend to think they suffer from being designed to appeal to so many buyers, they don’t really shine in any category in terms of function- commuter, off roader(capable but too nice ) or SUV.
At the end of the day they do get it all done though.

I have only owned my 99 TJ for six months, and I really like it. Here in Sarasota there are new, and newer Jeeps everywhere. I mean everywhere like one out of every ten vehicles. They are all covered in aftermarket everything. I would choose almost anything valued at fifty grand over one simply because of what a Jeep should be. The owners seem like wannabe players, and tough guys. I think the dream is to move to Sarasota. Pay massive rent, and then tattoo up to the max. I'll take my farmtruck looking TJ

View attachment 310806

View attachment 310807
You should paint the wheels to match. Just my opinion.

You're kidding? The 3.8 is the engine with problems, that's why Jeep switched to the much better 3.6 around 2012.
The only thing I see wrong with the 3.8 is that it was grossly underpowered for the vehicle. It was a pig, but perfect for a soccer moms' minivan. I've seen many minivans with over 200k miles on them.

From where *I* sit, the day they went to a 4-Door Jeep "option", it absolutely RUINED the marque, INCLUDING the (MUCH less often seen) 2-Door variant. If you own a 4-Door Jeep, you're just kidding yourself thinking you own/drive "a Jeep"; same goes with the new Ford Bronco...

By analogy, it's like having sex with a condom and kidding yourself into thinking you're having sex - a categoric NOPE!

From where *I* sit, the day they went to a 4-Door Jeep "option", it absolutely RUINED the marque, INCLUDING the (MUCH less often seen) 2-Door variant. If you own a 4-Door Jeep, you're just kidding yourself thinking you own/drive "a Jeep"; same goes with the new Ford Bronco...

By analogy, it's like having sex with a condom and kidding yourself into thinking you're having sex - a categoric NOPE!
They came out with the 4dr to fill the "Soccer Mom" niche. Most of the 4dr's I see either have a woman driving it, or 20" wheels and coming out of the city.

Spend a few minutes at each of the jeep sites postings. CJ on to YJ to TJ. Mostly mods questions with a some electrical issues. Then go to the 4x4 mini van...er JK whatever section, you'll see about 75% engine,chassis or electrical failure posts. Your dealing with Fiat here folks, what did you think they were gonna produce?

Love the avatar, makes me want to grow a big moustache like that... it'd make me look like my Vietnam hero Col. Robin Olds!! :D

View attachment 310717

I was stationed at Ubon, Thailand in '73-'74 as an F-4 crew chief. His F4, with all the Mig kill stars on the intake was parked in the next revetment over from my plane. Dude was a legend.

• Love
I bought the lj as the family wheeling rig. It fits my 2 young ones, the dog and the wife for a weekend. I could see the 4 door jk being nice for this use but I have always wanted a tj. The lj is lighter, feels like the perfect blend of old school with just enough new school.

Now I do like the jl a lot but that would buy a lot of tj's.

I have taught my 5 year old son to say real jeeps have 2 doors lol.

Last edited:
Reactions: AaronPaul
I think all these guys that insist on “quality sound” in their TJ should be driving a stock JK hardtop. There are benefits… a stock JK/JL Rubicon will run 35’s with very minimal mods. JL/JT have assist features that can be turned on/off to make off-roading as challenging or easy as you want.

the difference between my JT and TJ driving is night and day. I can drive 100’s of miles in the JT and enjoy the drive, TJ on same drive would be tedious. Offroad, TJ really only shines on tight turning trails.

Every man that owned a Wrangler, forgot to use a condom, knocked up his GF, had kids and now had to drag the wife and kids around. Chrysler saw this and made a 4 door Jeep for this very reason. It worked out very well for them. I occasionally borrow my brother's JK so I can haul around my wife, girlfriend and her kids. 🤫 😇
WILLYS FLARES (2017_11_20 00_38_12 UTC) (2).jpg

Last edited:
I have both. 04 LJ and 17 JKUR. For me, around town is just that and it's a short trip so either one. For day to day commute and other associated chores the JK both hands down flat on the floor.

What's the usage ratio going to be? The TJ is very simple to diagnose and repair yourself and can be modified or left as is. The drawback is relative age of the platform. The newest ones are 16 years old and most require some extent of repair and restoration to be decent daily drivers.

The aftermarket is massive for each platform to the extent you could start with a radiator cap and still build one from the ground up with endless variations.

I don't see one as more fun than the other or one being more of a jeep than the other. I just don't buy into the "last" jeep was the last true jeep for whatever reason. The fun comes from what you do with it and who you do it with.

They are at once very similar and quite different at the same time, just products of their era and circumstances. The TJ has great look it esp when modified and is iconic. The JK is a better vehicle day to day but is much larger than it's predecessor. That's good and bad, just depends on the situation.

Only vehicle? JK
More of a toy? TJ

Have fun and good luck.

Reactions: Woodrow
The 3.6 has pretty severe problems, the heads fail on the early ones. The 3.8 burns oil, they all have their issues like anything. There is no best year just like the TJ.
I disagree, the 3.8 and 4 spd auto and interior are certainly less desirable than the '12 and up. I've driven both and it's night and day from 3.8 4 spd to 3.6 and 5 speed.

Every man that owned a Wrangler, forgot to use a condom, knocked up his GF, had kids and now had to drag the wife and kids around. Chrysler saw this and made a 4 door Jeep for this very reason. It worked out very well for them. I occasionally borrow my brother's JK so I can haul around my wife, girlfriend and her kids. 🤫 😇
View attachment 310909

You're doing it wrong. I bought my wife a 2wd Cherokee. Then she wanted a 4x4 Cherokee. Then she wanted a Wrangler. Then she wanted a Wrangler with a hard top. But then, again, at one point, she sold her '73 Road Runner to buy her first Harley.

Reactions: TheBoogieman