JK v. TJ

HDRider

TJ Enthusiast
I just talked to a guy with a 2009 two door yellow JK Sport. Turns out he is going to sell it. Fast forward, he wants $11K OBO.

I was thinking that is not bad. Jeep was in real good shape, Sport model, high milage (220K) hard top, auto.

I have a TJ that I bought almost two years ago. I KNOW I overpaid, and have come to grips with that. I paid $13.5K. It is just like the JK, but I have all the tops (never been on the Jeep) for my TJ.

IS KBB an accurate measure?

My TJ

1702317186651.png
The JK

1702317211199.png

Just curious......

Last edited:
Can’t comment too much, but is the Jk sport a 2 door, what year?

This is the first thing a potential jk buyer should ask. If it's a pre 2013? It better check alot of boxes for me or I will gladly pay more. I know people run the 3.8 without issue but I have seen too many problems first hand that make me not want to chance it.

Also as far as KBB goes on jeeps it has little to no hand on the pulse of the market. I always watch marketplace or CL and see what is actually selling and for how much

Reactions: bbaldwin237
What year is the JK?

I bought a brand new 2017 JK and got rid of it to get a TJ.

TLDR: For me anyway, the JK is a better car but the TJ is a better Jeep.

Depending on the JK year...

Anything before 2012 = 3.8 V6 with problematic transmission, be it auto or manual.

2012-2018 = 3.6 Pentastar V6 that is much better than the 3.8 it replaced, but the 2012 and 2013 had cylinder head issues that would be very costly to repair if it happens and now they are all out of warranty. This has actually popped up in years as late as 2016 but is far less common.

The 2012 and up come with either the NSG370 manual that is still somewhat problematic or the very good Mercedes sourced 5 speed automatic.

2014 Wranglers can have issues with the oil cooler cracking and leaking all your oil down the back of the engine. This seems to be resolved in the 2015 and up.

2015-2017 have the best reliability.

2018 JK sometimes has issues with the solenoid pack in the 5 speed auto that will prevent it from starting. Theorized to be a new vendor for the solenoids as it doesn't seem to happen on earlier models.

Edit: It really comes down to whether this is going to be a DD or a toy.

My JK was a toy and it turned out that a TJ was a much better toy for me.

A JK would be a better DD

Last edited:
I don’t think anyone in the auto industry uses KBB anymore. Insurance adjusters and dealerships use market value now because prices vary so much by location. Just like P man said, I’d check the pricing in your area on similar models.

Reactions: P man
I need to come visit you! I had to look, in my area you can’t find a TJ on CL for under $13k or a JK under $25k. I think we need to set up a Jeep smuggling racket

People like to hate on the 3.8, but it’s not as bad as everyone makes it out to be. The 3.6 (though more powerful and efficient), has more severe reliability issues than the 3.8 ever did.

I say this as someone that has 2 x 3.6s in the family right now.

My advice: take the JK for a test drive, see how you like it. I personally despise the interiors on the pre-2011 JKs, but you might be fine with it.

Reactions: P man
My friend has 2008 JK.
Overall is a solid Jeep as long as you work on it, because assembly quality is simply garbage. Any leak it could possibly have it already had.
People like to shit on its 3.8, but imo it is a good engine that needs a good transmission mated to it, which is not what auto JK has.
Also test drive it, if TJ feels like it runs out of air fast but quick when it needs to be going, JK with automatic is opposite, feels like i was forcing a fat person to get off the couch but solid once it gets moving. So it may or may not be your thing.

IMO

4.0 = 3.6 > 3.8

I respectfully disagree.

I can hack rebuild a 4.0 in a weekend with a straight edge, plasti gauge, a bucky ball hone, and $200 worth of bearings and a head gasket. Little more if you want to to springs and valve seals and lap the valves.

3.6 is a good engine...or a good enough engine...but it's a million times more complicated.

Case in point spark plugs...4.0..
.lean over the fender and unbolt them...3.6...two hours of unbolting the plastic intake.

My ten cents.

-Mac

I wouldn't touch a 3.8. It makes BARELY any more power than a 4.0 in exchange for all the extra complexity and problems.

The 3.6 has issues too but at least you get almost 100 more hp so it'll actually keep up with other vehicles on the road.

Reactions: 1o1proof and P man
I respectfully disagree.

I can hack rebuild a 4.0 in a weekend with a straight edge, plasti gauge, a bucky ball hone, and $200 worth of bearings and a head gasket. Little more if you want to to springs and valve seals and lap the valves.

3.6 is a good engine...or a good enough engine...but it's a million times more complicated.

Case in point spark plugs...4.0..
.lean over the fender and unbolt them...3.6...two hours of unbolting the plastic intake.

My ten cents.

-Mac
That’s all true. If you have the skills to rebuild an engine, the 4.0 is the way to go.

For newbies (which comprise most JK/JL owners) their biggest “maintenance” will likely be an oil change, or something like a water pump/PS pump replacement, which are all very easy on a 3.6. Anything bigger and they take it to a shop. All while the 3.6 has more power/efficiency.

IMO:

4.0 - longterm reliability, grunt torque, easy of repair

3.6 - more hp, better mpg, one a few modern engines w/ease of basic maintenance.

EDIT: Just my 2 cents as well. I could be wrong, just look at my tagline 🤓

Reactions: macleanflood
I wouldn't touch a 3.8. It makes BARELY any more power than a 4.0 in exchange for all the extra complexity and problems.

The 3.6 has issues too but at least you get almost 100 more hp so it'll actually keep up with other vehicles on the road.

I agree, but the price difference between a 3.8 and 3.6 is significant. And there will always be people drawn to a cheaper option.

I’m not up to date, but when I was last looking, it was $7-8k, all else equal. 8k goes a long way towards mods.

I agree, the price difference between a 3.8 and 3.6 is significant. And there will always be people drawn to a cheaper option.

I’m not up to date, but when I was last looking, it was $7-8k, all else equal. 8k goes a long way towards mods.

$8k could get you close-ish to a DIY hemi swap.

My son has a 2007 JKU and overall it works well. It only has about 60K on it. The bad thing is the cat’s went out and that is going to cost him a chunk of money since we are in CA. With 220K on the one are looking at there may be some maintenance com up in the near future so you will want to take that into account.

Overall I think the 4.0 is better engine for longevity and for some styles of off roading. I have a 3.6 JKUR and the 4.0 is much better at low torque. Each are a 6sp manual and I prefer the LJ for crawling or even steep climbs, the 3.6 just doesn’t have the low end torque. The JK is much nicer for road trips, and quieter.