JK v. TJ

Overall I think the 4.0 is better engine for longevity and for some styles of off roading. I have a 3.6 JKUR and the 4.0 is much better at low torque. Each are a 6sp manual and I prefer the LJ for crawling or even steep climbs, the 3.6 just doesn’t have the low end torque. The JK is much nicer for road trips, and quieter.

Agree 100%. I've rented 3.6 JLs and JTs for both off-road and highway use. It's awesome having enough power to get out of your own way but I found myself having to really rev the 3.6 to get up inclines that I practically idle up with the 4.0.

Agree 100%. I've rented 3.6 JLs and JTs for both off-road and highway use. It's awesome having enough power to get out of your own way but I found myself having to really rev the 3.6 to get up inclines that I practically idle up with the 4.0.

Yes, and with a 6sp manual I have had problems because as soon as I let the clutch pedal out there is not enough power (torque) and the JK stalls out. I’ve gotten in the habit of just putting the JK in 4low, then I can go all day long. With the LJ I can stay in 4H for a lot of different situations.

Last edited:
Reactions: freedom_in_4low
I've had a JK, 2 TJs, and 2 YJs. I owned the JK for less than a year. It's roomier than the older models. That's the extent of the positive things I can say about it.

We all have different desires and likes. My first Jeep was a 4.0 I had to get rid of it because it did not have enough power. I am used to a V8's power and performance. It's possible an electric would fit my demands but I can guarantee you I will never find out.

Yes, and with a 6sp manual I have had problem because as soon as I let the clutch pedal out there is not enough power (torque) and the JK stalls out I’ve gotten in the habit of just putting the JK in 4low, then I can go all day long. With the LJ I can stay in 4H for a lot of different situations.

The ones I drove were autos but same with needing 4 low much earlier than my LJ would have.

Reactions: Danarch