JL shocks on a TJ

kmas0n

I have no idea what I'm talking about
Supporting Member
Ride of the Month Winner
I've seen it posted a few times since the JLs came out asking if it were possible to mount JL shocks on a TJ. The answer is "no" or more accurately "its not worth it"

But then I found myself with an extra set of Fox IFP shocks that I didn't have any need for, and instead of selling them on CL or marketplace for pennies on the dollar, I decided to put them on my TJ. These are the shocks.

https://accutuneoffroad.com/product/18-jeep-wrangler-jl-front-2-0-fox-shocks-ps-ifp-3-5-4-lift/
10.5" of travel (the Rancho 5000x these are replacing have 11")

There was no need to reinvent the wheel so using about $12 worth of scrap steel and tube I fabricated upper and lower mounts.

The upper were easy. I drilled a 1" hole through the rear of the perch and welded in a 1" long section of 1/2" ID and 7/8" OD DOM, a simple plate across the front locates the upper mount
PXL_20210401_154339366.jpg

I cut the shock perch off the bottom, used 1/4" plate and created an L shape bracket that I welded to the spring perch and wraps around the control arm mount. It even ties into the edge of the truss. A simple tab locates the rear of the mount because I don't care for single shear shock mounts. The shock bolt actually sits lower than the control arm bolt.

PXL_20210401_154331697.jpg

View from above.

PXL_20210401_154414588.jpg

Finished project...

PXL_20210401_165904898.jpg

This project was meant to buy time while I decide exactly what I want to do with the front.

So there ya have it. JL shocks on a TJ.

Possible? Yes
Worth it? Up to you

How much lift do you have? You said they have 10.5" of travel, what is the up/down ratio at ride height? 50/50?

Also, the JL is a lot heavier, aren't they going to be really stiff on a TJ?

How much lift do you have? You said they have 10.5" of travel, what is the up/down ratio at ride height? 50/50?

Also, the JL is a lot heavier, aren't they going to be really stiff on a TJ?
I've got about 3.5" of lift. I prefer a lot of up travel so I've got 6 up and 4.5 down. Since I made the mounts I could have just as easily done 50/50.
I wouldn't be surprised if the front of a JL weighs less than the front of a TJ, but I don't have scales.
But no, they are not stiff at all. They are more compliant for small bumps, washboard, and such, but have significantly better rebound control than the 5000x's they replace.