jmm45's 2004 White Sport

jmm45

Long time coming on this thread, but we stay busy with kids, sports, and other activities. So to begin, a little background. I had a new 2005 Light Khaki TJ X that I sold after a few years (2008) because of kids and commute to work. Truly hated parting with it, but at the time it was the best decision. I also didn't love the 3.07 gears so it worked out for the best based on where I am now. Hindsight being 20/20 and all. I bought a used 2003 Honda Accord for a little more room and a lot better fuel economy.

Anyway, fast forward to late 2016/early 2017 and the Jeep bug has grown to mutant proportions. After working on my wife a bit and hinting that it was happening with or without her, we decide to pull the trigger. She required an Auto - which to me is fine, I love manuals but I did need to give a tad to her on the deal. Happy wife, happy life. Looked at many Jeeps and found several that were in good to great shape but not in the budget. Everything was in the $14k range which was more than our agreed upon budget of around $11k.

Found a 2004 Stone White Sport (3.73) online from a private seller not far from us in March 2017 . She was flaky as hell, and it seemed like she didn't really want to sell it. Met up with her to take a look, and found she didn't really want to sell it. She and her husband bought it for their 16 y/o son, who (for some reason) didn't like it. They were asking $12,500. It wasn't washed, had a rough soft top in need of replacing, and general maintenance was lacking a bit. Nothing that a little love wouldn't take care of though. Needed a bit of cleaning and servicing is all.

I offer her $10k in cash that day because it's in good shape, had 93k miles, and no rust. Born in Maine and per records lived there for one whole year and in SC and GA after that. She didn't bite, and said the offer was too low and wasn't ready that day without her husband. I said that's okay, talk to him, and get back to me with a counter offer. I don't hear back from her for maybe a week. I texted again asking if she'd thought about it any more - she said yes, but the the price was firm. I told her that the Jeep needed a top, tires, some maintenance (valve cover gasket, probably service diffs, maybe a RMS, etc.) so her price was too high. She said she'd talk to her husband. We came to an agreement on price after that - $11,000. Deal was made and we were happy Jeep owners again. More to come. Pics in this post are from when we purchased.

Of course, I let my wife drive it home after buying it. Daughter approved as well.
2017-04-29_20-12-16_478.jpeg
2017-04-29_20-11-55_821.jpeg

IMG_20170430_162550071_HDR.jpg
IMG_20170513_110310948.jpg

IMG_20170430_162752598_HDR.jpg

Within a couple weeks, replaced valve cover gasket, oil change, filters (oil and air), basic maintenance, serviced diffs. New top (Bestop Replace a top) was ordered and installed. Super deal (in my mind) at $419 if I remember correctly. Would have preferred the Trektop NX I think but price made it out of the question. This build/update is limited on budget.

New top is on.
IMG_20170509_173738591.jpg

Next up, wheels. Not digging the black wheels which I'm usually a fan of. Too monotone maybe. I always loved the Moabs on Rubicons so I begin looking. Man, people really want a lot of $$$ for those around here IF you can find any. Found a set of 4 with tires (70% worn Michelin LTX haha!) guy was selling for $450. hmm....ask for pics and they're in decent shape, plus I don't care too much because, well, it's a Jeep and I'll probably rash them at some point anyway. Nothing major, just some scratches. I offer $300 because the tires are worn and not proper TJ tires, but the crappy Falkens that are on it are even more worn. I can ride with these for a while I guess.

IMG_20170525_181021972_HDR.jpg

10k is a great deal for that, especially being that it’s rust free! White is a great color too!

Reactions: jmm45
10k is a great deal for that, especially being that it’s rust free! White is a great color too!

$11k, but still a great deal in my eyes. Thanks I appreciate it - white was not at all my first choice but it has definitely grown on me (khaki being my favorite ever, with some of the greens and silver and dark blue being up there too).

Reactions: Chris
$11k, but still a great deal in my eyes. Thanks I appreciate it - white was not at all my first choice but it has definitely grown on me (khaki being my favorite ever, with some of the greens and silver and dark blue being up there too).

Khaki is a great color... that happens to be the color of mine! But I actually really like white as well. It doesn’t show scratches and rock chips as easy, that’s for sure!

Not much happened with the Jeep from summer to now, with vacations, football season beginning, school, etc. but I did get some new rubber in October. Thankfully. GY Duratracs 265/75/16. Wheel wells were stuffed and it was clear I needed a lift, or at minimum new springs and shocks. In due time...

2017-11-06_07-49-26_656.jpeg

Reactions: Fouledplugs
Played in the snow - a rarity here in GA. Glad to have new tires at this point, as they were definitely needed. Helped pull people out from being stuck in ditches during a couple of our big snows (relatively haha). It sure was pretty, though.

2017-12-08_11-04-54_456.jpeg

2017-12-08_11-04-04_191.jpeg

2017-12-08_11-03-55_550.jpeg

2017-12-09_09-11-35_226.jpeg

Snow was in December...skip ahead to mid March. Lift just had to be ordered. I hemmed and hawed over brand of lift - OME? Piece it all together? BDS? I did know it wanted around 2-2.5" as the offroading we will be doing is nothing crazy but I do want something pretty capable. Mostly trails and mild stuff but you never know.

In the end, I couldn't justify the price of the OME on our budget, and I'd heard good things from multiple people about BDS - 2 inch, 3 inch, and larger lifts too...the spectrum. I'll tell you what - the folks at BDS are helpful, and the lifetime warranty with no BS is a plus. Pulled the trigger on BDS 2 inch, which according to most, should net me 2-2.5. My springs were worn out so regardless it was going to be an improvement. $421, free shipping. Springs and their NX2 shocks.

Look what showed up on my doorstep...
2018-03-14_15-54-23_560.jpeg

Reactions: Rob5589
After about a month of sitting in my garage trying to find the time, I finally got around to installing the lift on the TJ. Had help from a good friend so make it much easier/quicker. Another friend joined and helped as well. Beer was consumed. Netted around 3 inches all around but expect it'll settle a bit - I did add a 3/4" spacer to the front in anticipation of adding a winch and possibly new front bumper to account for the weight. Also on the list in future is rockers/sliders, headlights, possibly rear bumper and a ton more down the road I'm sure. Happy with how it turned out. Next up is correcting some vibration post install.

Before
IMG_1842.jpg

After
IMG_1863.jpg

IMG_1867.jpg

Nice TJ. I love white TJ's (almost as much as Red). I looked at 2 white ones before I bought my 2004 Patriot Blue. Blue was not my first choice for color by a long shot, but could not pass it up as it was a 50k mile unmolested 100% Florida vehicle with 2 previous owners and some service records. I've done a lot to it in the 2 months I have had it.

My build thread
https://wranglertjforum.com/threads/2004-columbia-edition-build.9392/

I love the lift on yours too. It really made it look like it has attitude. Fun build. I'm running 31s on mine with no lift yet. I keep relegating the lift lower on the priority list...probably because I am a bit intimidated about the install. Even though I am somewhat mechanical (having owned and operating race cars) and have the tools. Your before and after shots make me want to move the lift up the list though.

Any driveline vibes with that lift? Did you install track bars or TB brackets? Or is that just the springs, shocks, and spacers in the front? And how is the ride?

Congrats

Nice TJ. I love white TJ's (almost as much as Red). I looked at 2 white ones before I bought my 2004 Patriot Blue. Blue was not my first choice for color by a long shot, but could not pass it up as it was a 50k mile unmolested 100% Florida vehicle with 2 previous owners and some service records. I've done a lot to it in the 2 months I have had it.

My build thread
https://wranglertjforum.com/threads/2004-columbia-edition-build.9392/

I love the lift on yours too. It really made it look like it has attitude. Fun build. I'm running 31s on mine with no lift yet. I keep relegating the lift lower on the priority list...probably because I am a bit intimidated about the install. Even though I am somewhat mechanical (having owned and operating race cars) and have the tools. Your before and after shots make me want to move the lift up the list though.

Any driveline vibes with that lift? Did you install track bars or TB brackets? Or is that just the springs, shocks, and spacers in the front? And how is the ride?

Congrats

Thanks, man. Honestly, the install as so straightforward and easy, it should not intimidate. Get a friend to assist, decent floor jack, two 6 ton jack stands, assortment of wrenches/ratchets/sockets/crowbar/etc. and you're golden. Took us just under 3 hrs and we weren't really rushing. Move the lift up on your list and don't look back. Watch some youtube videos if you have to, read forums and I think you'll be good.

Springs and spacers (front), shocks, steering stabilizer only. I do have some slight vibration afterward that I am hopefully correcting today with TC skid drop. Will likely move to a more permanent and practical solution at some point as I don't want to defeat the purpose of the lift and have too much hanging down getting caught on rocks/dirt/mud.

No trackbars yet but they're coming. No trackbar relocation bracket needed - the shit in axles was unnoticeable other than to me but I've got a critical eye for my own stuff/myself. Maybe half a tread in the rear. I did replace the steering stabilizer but only because I got a deal on it and it was the original.

The ride is lightyears better than what it was. You could tell driving before that springs and shocks were worn slap out. Rolling and floaty and harsh on bumps, etc. Hit the brakes and it took a nosedive. That bad. Post lift - man it's awesome. Stiffer for sure, but it needed it. I expect with a tad more weight that it'll be even better (winch, bumpers, etc.).

Nice TJ you have yourself, there. Love the Patriot Blue and one of my friends has an LJ in that color. White has grown on me. I'll check out your build thread for sure.

Okay - posting to the build thread because it's the first chance I've had to do a little trail riding and mild wheeling since installing lift. Apologies if it should be elsewhere - feel free to move if so. I had some fun this weekend with the TJ and a few friends over at Choccolocco Mountain ORV park in Jacksonville, AL. Will definitely go back sometime soon, when we have a full day to spend there. Nothing too tough today, but man that place has some legit trails. Many only for side by sides, etc. We were pretty poor documenting the trip with our cameras, but did snap a few pics.

IMG_1902.jpg

I am really liking the Jeep and stance now with lift and tire combination. I think it's just about right. Next will be bumpers maybe (looking for a MOPAR rock crawler bumper for the front - rear if I ever come across one too) and a winch.

IMG_1913.jpg

My buddy's LR Defender 90. In true British vehicle fashion, it gave him some issues today. Really nice, and restored beautifully.
IMG_1909.jpg

Airing down.
IMG_1915.jpg

IMG_1927.jpg

IMG_1924.jpg

Done for the day. Too short, but will be back.
IMG_1937.jpg

Reactions: Fouledplugs
The 265 Duratracs on the Moab wheels looks perfect. That's going to be this summer's number one priority for my TJR. I didn't net as much lift as yours with the BDS lift, but that's ok with me. I have no driveline issues, and neither my wife or I are getting any younger (Jeep entry has become more important of late...).

Thanks for sharing all the photos.