Johnny Joints or poly bushings?

Jwhite

Hi everyone, I currently have core 4x4 control arms with rubber bushings on one end and Johnny joints on the other. The rubber bushings have failed twice now so core 4x4 is going to replace the base of each control arm. Basically I will reuse my old Johnny joints and install them into the new bases which will have either Johnny joints or poly bushings. My question is, is it worth extra money to get Johnny joint bases instead of polyurethane? My Jeep is strictly a daily driver but I want whatever will drive the best and last the longest. Thanks

Johnny Joints are the way I'd go unless the added cost will mean your children won't eat for a few days. ;) The JJ's will outlast any other flex joint... really. :)

If that means you don't go offroad, then I would install factory style Clevite bushings at both ends and go have fun.

I had replaced the clevites that wore out in less than a year and then the new ones wore out in less than 1000 miles. Core4 x4 only uses jj or poly now because of quality control issues

I had replaced the clevites that wore out in less than a year and then the new ones wore out in less than 1000 miles. Core4 x4 only uses jj or poly now because of quality control issues

Interesting that you are going through the Clevites so fast. Who are they being sourced through? I would look at going to the Synergy DDB before going to a straight poly bushing since they just press in place of a Clevite.

Reactions: Rickyd and JMT
theJohnny Joints are the way I'd go unless the added cost will mean your children won't eat for a few days. ;) The JJ's will outlast any other flex joint... really. :)

If you have the money there is no reason not to go with Johnny Joints over standard poly bushings.

Will Johnny joints
Interesting that you are going through the Clevites so fast. Who are they being sourced through? I would look at going to the Synergy DDB before going to a straight poly bushing since they just press in place of a Clevite.

i thought about ddbs but the cost to buy them and have a shop install them is probably about the same as me installing the Johnny joint bases on my own. The clevites were from core4x4 and they stopped using them because of quality control issues.

Reactions: Jerry Bransford

They aren't Clevite then. I don't know what they are using but if they are wearing out the OEM Clevite bushings in that mileage, something is terribly wrong. I'd expect no less than 50,000 miles out of them. Are you sure they aren't using some 58 cent Chinese knock-off?

i thought about ddbs but the cost to buy them and have a shop install them is probably about the same as me installing the Johnny joint bases on my own. The clevites were from core4x4 and they stopped using them because of quality control issues.
If you can install a Clevite you can install a DDB.

They aren't Clevite then. I don't know what they are using but if they are wearing out the OEM Clevite bushings in that mileage, something is terribly wrong. I'd expect no less than 50,000 miles out of them. Are you sure they aren't using some 58 cent Chinese knock-off?

That is my thought as well.

theJohnny Joints are the way I'd go unless the added cost will mean your children won't eat for a few days. ;) The JJ's will outlast any other flex joint... really. :)

If you have the money there is no reason not to go with Johnny Joints over standard poly bushings.

Will Johnny joints

you are right they said made in Mexico on the front of the rubber bushing.