Just an Average Joe with a Jeep

Joe-Wrangler

Hello all! I've always wanted a Jeep (and we all know there's only one real Jeep!) and finally picked one up a few weeks ago. While checking it out, I found great advice here on the forums and thought it could only be to my benefit to join in the fun.

I'm just your average joe. I was a tank mechanic in the Army Nat. Guard, ride a motorcycle, lived full-time in an RV for 2 years while my wife and I explored the US (all the lower 48 states and the National Parks there-in). Now live in an A-frame in the mountains of Colorado and own an art supply store/custom frame shop. My first vehicle was a 1984 Jeep Waggoneer, it's good to be back in a Jeep and great to have 4x4! There are a lot of local roads that I just shouldn't be taking my car down. And since my wife and I just had our first kiddo (about 2 weeks ago) we needed a second vehicle. The Jeep will allow us to explore so much more, gives me a vehicle as a daily driver when I can't motorcycle so that my wife can keep the car, and is something that I can work on to keep a great vehicle on the road.

She's a 1998 SE with 4 cyls, 5 speeds, and a soft-top. About as basic as you can get (which is part of the appeal!). She also came with only 89,271 miles. I bought her from a little old lady whose doctor told her to quit trying to drive it - she hated to let it go but had come to terms that she couldn't take it out wheeling any longer. It's in great shape, with about 5 paint chips and no rust that I have found. Which is perfect for a) a daily driver and b) a vehicle that I plan to keep for a long time and to keep in great running shape.

IMG_1272.jpg

I'm sure there's more that I should put in there but nothing else I can think of off the top of my head. Ask away if you're curious. Cheers!

Welcome to the forum, you're definitely in the right place!

What kind of motorcycle do you ride (or did you ride)? I'm a motorcycle rider myself, so I always like to ask, since you never know ;)

If you're into any off-roading, there are a ton of guys on here from Colorado who go wheeling all the time. You can check it out in the United States regional sub-forum.

Pretty easy to get the kiddo in and out with a rear facing carseat. Becomes a little more of an effort when they go forward facing.

Welcome!

Chris, I still ride. She's a Yamaha V-Star 650. Got me through college and came with us all around the country. It's currently in the garage, parked for a tune-up since there's snow/ice on the roads for the next few months. I'll be sure to check out the reginal sub-forums, thanks for the heads-up!

Thanks, ejay! We tested out the carseat before the kid arrived and know it'll strap into the back seat securely. I figure that, worse case scenario, she doesn't get to go wheeling for a few years... Give her something to look forward to. :D

Reactions: Chris
Welcome from Morrison!

You're in a hell of a good spot too with great wheeling in the San Juans.